Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of simple skids?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 7, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, my K30 is going to venture out soon on it's maiden voyage. In fact, if I can get my junk together, it may go out this week end. I would rather not rip the bottom out of the tranny or crush the x-under exhaust pipe so I want to throw a skid plate under there to protect them. Since I don't yet have my lift or big tires (I hate these little 31s!), and the wheel base is LONG, a skid is even more important. Right now there is not so much as a case skid under there (god knows where the original went).

So, how about some pics (preferable) or descriptions (clear) of simple skids you've seen or run? I've got ideas but I figure there are many ideas out there that I haven't even considered. Like I said, I want to protect the tranny (TH400), case (205) and the exhaust (crosses under tranny about 3" in front of the x-member). Unfortunately, the exhaust pipe is about 1" lower than the x-member.

What I've got in mind, for now, is a single plate bolted to the x-member and extending off the back under the case, about the same width as the case and resting against the bottom. Those 205s are brutal tough and don't need that much protection so I don't think a rear supporting x-member is warranted. A second plate will go forward. The x-under 2-into-1 exhaust is just temporary. So, I'm thinking bolt a square tube across the front of the x-member as a spacer so that a plate will clear the pipe about .5" and just run a plate forward to another (new) x-member near the front of the tranny (maybe further?). It may angle up. I'll probably use (2) 1-1.5" x .250 square tube spacers between x-members and the front plate to give clearance for the exhaust, that way, when the exhaust is changed, I can just take out the spacers to raise it up. Maybe also add some 1" angle or square tubing down the sides front-to-back for added rigidity. The plate would be .250 and have nuts welded to the top side and bolts going down from the top of the x-members and ground/cut where they protrude. No demolished/hung bolt heads and the spacers could be drilled to accept the plate nuts and allow the plates to set flush. The new front x-member would probably be 2x1x.250 with 2x.250 angle iron brackets bolted inside the frame channels.

Oh, yes I have seen yours Friz. I don’t have the time, equipment or desire to duplicate the fine piece of artwork under your rig... [​IMG]

Any other ideas, suggestions, etc.? Pics and descriptions of proven skids would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Artwork??[​IMG]All it takes is fire,a welder, a grinder,and a little imagination. One thing I can suggest is reinforceing the crossmember.My Tcase gaurd is stronger than my crossmember and I bent it.Also I dont think I would have the skid plate resting on ths Tcase because the skid plate could move up a bit when dragging it.The Tcase also moves around with the engine torque a little.It just seems like if it wasnt free to move it might put stress on the Tcase adaptor and maybe break it.
    Just my .02 [​IMG]

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

3. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I was out at a local swap meet and found a mid 90's skid plate off of a Suburban. 10 bucks and it has the bolt patern of the original skid plate. My Picts

4. BadDog

Actually, I found a 3/4 ton Sub today with an original skid and second (rear) x-member for $20 so I've got the case covered. Now I just need to figure out how to protect that vulnerable tranny pan...

Russ

5. DuneRunner

If you can, can i see a pict. of what it looks like?

Later KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

6. BadDog

Sure, I'll try to take some tonight (or tomorrow if it gets too late). I just realized it won't work anyway. The K30 frame angles up just after the case and the Sub went straight back. [​IMG] I guess I'll have to make my own x-member or maybe make some spacers...

Russ

7. BadDog

So, nobody here runs skids under the tranny? Am I the only one who has caved in a tranny pan because I didn't have one?

Russ

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

my tranny pan looks fine on my sm465,
    i was gonna roast ya about skid plates but I see you run a fragile aluminum tranny so I will let ya be.
    i run 1/2 ton trans crossmember on my one ton frame, I cant remember what a 1 ton cross member looks like but i am guessing it is higher then the 1/2 ton version as the frame is deeper.
    you could try grabbing a couple of 1/2 ton crossmembers and puttin a flat plate between them with one behind the TC and one ???

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. BadDog

Ok, finally got those pics.
    side
    <a target="_blank" href=http://members.home.net/russhuffman/skidbottom.jpg>bottom</a>

I also decided to make some spacers to adapt the rear x-member to my frame. It won't be an ideal solution but, at least the tail end won't be flopping free.

Sheesh, I can't believe that nobody here runs skids for their auto trannies.

Russ

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I never even thought aboout a skid-plate for the tranny. Always had the low-hanging cross member and t-case in mind tho', something needs to be done for those. (but never got hung-up on one, so far.)
    I was thinking, just cut the leading/trailing edge of the cross member and benf it up, then reweld it togather. Good idea?

B.D. have you actualy bashed a tranny pan?

Ya' got me thinking now...

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

11. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Russ,

If you are going to be on the K5 Arizona run this weekend, you can take a look at my skid plate, I run a TH350 with the factory skid plates.

It's just like yours and let me tell you, I have had my blazer (72), and my pickup (K10 72) on the rocks with these skids and it's never been a problem, you could not bend these factory skids if you tried.

I will give you a little tip on installing them, it's a bit@h to install them, the skid plate has a little flex to it and the rear holes on the the crossmember don't like to line up.

Good luck and I will hopefully see you this weekend.

Robzilla

12. BadDog

Yep, twice. Once about 15-18 years ago, I took a stump in the pan and damaged the valve body. I was in a recent logging area, apparently the root bundle was hit by the front axle which levered the stump right up into the bottom of the tranny, just missing the x-member. It literally lifted the truck up and stopped me. I thought, wow, what a fluke! Then about 4 years ago I got a small dent-and-scuff from a rock (??) on my TH350 in the 75. No significant damage but, I didn't even know it had happened till I was under there working on something else. That's when I started thinking that a plate leading forward of the x-member by about 1-2' could be a good thing. It looks pretty much invulnerable up in there but, apparently I can get things in there to it.

The tranny is actually not the main reason form my interest right now. The number one reason I'm actually trying to do something now is that I have very little ground clearance till I get a lift and tires, plus I still have the long wheel base. I also have that blasted x-under pipe right in front of the x-member. It actually hangs down further than the x-member by an inch or so. It can't go up because of the drive shaft. Eventually I'll put duals in there (after the frame is cut most likely) but I would rather do it on *my* schedule rather than because it got flattened. I guess I'll just have to be careful.

Russ

13. BadDog

Sorry, somehow I missed your post MJ. Roast on! [​IMG] I just don't like breaking things (or hanging on things) if I can help it.

Hmm, interesting idea on the 1/2 ton x-member, I didn't realize they were (or rather might be) different. That would be perfect for protecting my x-under pipe. Thanks, I'll look into that.

Russ

14. DuneRunner

Thanks a Million. What I'm planning on doing is using some 2x2 squar 1/4 inch thick and run it accross the rails, and shortening the plate that I have and drill a couple of new holes and bolting up the new skid plate. Thanks for the pics. and like always Have FUN!

Later KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>