Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of So Cal Big Bear Trip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Jun 26, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Just a few pics of last weekend's Big Bear Trip. We originally were with a huge group of Heeps, but once we got to the tough John Bull, we decided that we were done waiting for them, so we skipped on over to Holcomb Creek. It has some nice rock gardens and climbs, and it was Mike's first trip over there (Blazen91), we had fun. That big army looking truck is a Pinzgauer, they are made in Europe and the Swiss Army uses them for troop transports. 6x6, has hydraulic lockers to lock all six wheels together! I drove it for about an hour, it was fun. Definitely drives different than the Blazer, the thing doesn't flex at all! It just lifts off the ground and keeps going, pretty cool. And to the guys who have seen my truck before, yes, my rack is missing! It looks naked without the rack and lights up top. [​IMG]

Anyways, here is the link to the photos, enjoy!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292510793&code=1884630&mode=invite>http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292510793&code=1884630&mode=invite</A>

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

man i should have been there with you guys!!!

3. blazerbum

blazerbum Registered Member

checked out your pics looks like you had alot of fun .

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Awesome pics. I'm going to have to join you guys some time. Was there any carnage?

Brian
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://84k5.coloradok5.com>http://84k5.coloradok5.com</A>

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

No serious carnage to our trucks. I did manage to pretty much crush my exhaust crossover pipe underneath when my truck slipped off a large rock and landed square on the pipe (I've always hated how low that Thorley pipe hung down!). It sounded real ugly, and when I got out to take a look, ouch, it was flattened! It started out as a 3" diameter pipe, it is now about 1" and flat! Luckily it didn't rip a hole in it, just crushed it. I was high centered on the freaking exhaust! All four tires were spinning helplessly! A quick tug and I was out, but my exhaust had a funny note after that! [​IMG]

Right at the end of the trail, I noticed a nice coating of power steering fluid all over the front axle, sure enough it was leaking pretty good from the hard line fitting on top of the box. It had loosened up. Also, the steering box was way loose again! I just had it fixed last week with the weld in brace, but the bolts backed out a few turns during the day. There are no new cracks luckily, and I tightened them up again, but that scares me a little...I hope that they just needed to be retorqued after they were put on last week, but I will be keeping an eye on them from now on! Other than that, just the usual scratches and scrapes...

Mike has some new trails he wants to try up there, so we will have to plan another trip up there soon! The weatehr is so nice up there, it's a great summer getaway from the heat...

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Well sounds like you had fun. I'm sure it was a lot better than HOT bakersfield. Hopefully next you guess get up there, I'll be there to join in.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Dude, that looks like fun!! Have to go on one of these runs sometime.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Those pics are making me wheelin sick (if that came out right [​IMG]).

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

awesome pics looks like you all had fun[​IMG]

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, we had a great time! I hope that the rest of you So Cal wheelers can join us one of these times! By the way, if any of you are interested in a great wheeling weekend, you should consider joining myself and the Inland Empire 4 Wheelers club for the "Big Bear Forest Fest 4" this August! Last year I was the ONLY Blazer, and had fun showing up a lot of the Heeps. I am hoping that more of my K5 brothers and sisters will join me this year! If you need more info on the event, go to their website and check it out - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ie4w.net>http://www.ie4w.net</A> I already sent in my registration, as they fill up quickly every year.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I wish I could have made it! I will make it to the Blazer-Fest though and hope to meet all of you guys and gals there. My new body mounts came in today, I get my new 36" TSL's thurs., and will cut the fenders on sat. I also want a Lock-Right but will have to see on that (I also have to spend $$$ on fireworks!).

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

12. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Nice pics Keith. When is the next trip?

<font color=red>Land use issues are the heart of our sport.
    Get involved or lose the sport.</font color=red>

13. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Mike,

I was actually thinking of going back up July 13th weekend?? I cannot go to Hollister now, have family and monetary considerations. [​IMG] Am gonna see if my brother can make it this time, if he can, I think I might go that weekend. That interest you? Maybe we can try those trails you were talking about last time? Did you ever find out if that road was open that leads to Devil's Hole? Let me know...I will have to put up another post for the guys who can't make Hollister, maybe they will go with us...

14. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

kpanza: i was on a trail ride once here in phoenix and we ran into a couple of those Pinzgauer's and got talking to the guy and this guy who lives in Mesa sells them for like 9k. He gave us this sheet of paper with everything about it. If you want to know more about it or buy one [​IMG] i can scan in the paper and e-mail it to you.

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Josh,

Thanks, but that one in the pictures is one of the guys' who wheels with us, so he has filled me in on them. I actually drove it for about an hour, they are cool. But I would never get one myself, just way different from normal wheelers, no flex, very stiff, etc. That may have been his group, as he was in the Arizona area a while back, they had a big group, I just saw pictures of them.

16. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I am busy that weekend. One of my accounts is having a parking lot sale and I agreed to be there to try and sell some garage doors. I am free the weekend of the 21 and 28. Moose (Damon from toyboxoffroad)will be here on the weekend of the 28.

<font color=red>Land use issues are the heart of our sport.
    Get involved or lose the sport.</font color=red>