Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pic's of the new K5

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Feb 23, 2005.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Well, I just got it home! :woot:

It needs lots of “love” so take a look and let me know what you think. Please remember, I just got it and the workmanship, cleanliness and attention to detail is no where near what I would like. :shame:

Marv/Harley, I tried to get some pics of the t-case but as dark as it was, they didn’t turn out very well. Regardless, take a look and let me know. It doesn’t look like the Pic you posted so I would guess it’s a 208. I’ll get under it tomorrow and see if the tag is still there, I was just to tired to do it tonight…

This truck is out of AJ so if anybody knows anything about it, let me know. I am curious about it’s history.

And so it begins……http://community.webshots.com/user/teamhickman

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Looks like a sweet project. That is not a 208. It does appear to be a 203 tcase setup. If you are looking to stay with a manual transmission and are going to go with a doubler setup then that is the transfer case you want and need. If you are going to swap to an auto for better control in the rocks then let me know if you want to sell the tranny and tcase.

Time to put in some long weekends of TLC.
    Harley

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

It is a 203:saweet: So your halfway done if you go the doubler route.

4. teamhickman

That's great news! I thought it was a 203 but after hearing how rare this combo is I thought I might have been incorrect.

As far as getting rid of it...it will happen, I want an auto. My damn leg was shaking after about 10 minutes in downtown traffic, i can't imagine what it would be like all day on the trail :what: ....... and as you mentioned the control an auto gives you is hard to beat.

Andrew

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Let me know when your ready.

Looks like the truck has at least $1000 worth of tube work on it. That cage looks pretty good but with some easy gusseting could be even stronger. Interior looks shot but $1000 for a full topper with some cage work and a good motor is a damn good deal.

Harley

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Awesome starting point , just about ready as it is . I would just nut and bolt it first , make sure its reliable and anything suspect gets taken care of . And maybe move the exhaust so you don't hit a rock with it and push it into the rocker area . Good find :waytogo:

7. teamhickman

I’m pretty happy with it. We’ll see if I feel this way in a month or two…..:confused: :grin:

I do have to do something with the drivers seat placement. It’s about 2” inches to high and 3” to far forward…….these are the times I hate being a “Tall fat bastard” (6’5”/300 Lbs.) :haha: I guess I’ll cut it out and get it moved and re welded. I’m hoping when I go looking for new seats I’ll find something that sits lower so all I have to do is move it back.

Same thing on the wheels, they look like Welds but damn their wide, at least 10’s if not 12’s. Got to get rid of them and step up to 35’s.

Thanks again!

Andrew

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you want a cheap wheel that has the right backspacing and works well with 35x12.50's , Marv is parting a 6 lug truck , don't know if there spoken for , but it has the Ralley rims on it . Paint them whatever color you want , and if you ding em up , hammer back :D

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Nice project, congrats :thumb:

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Man that Le Carra Steering wheel looks out of place in there... Be carefull that the leather doesn't get all eaten up out in the weather like that...... Let me know if you decide to go back to stock.....

11. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Nice Blazer, very good start for a rock basher/DD.:waytogo: If ya need some help :grind: or :weld: let me know.

12. FWP

FWP CRS

Excellent! It looks like mine the way it was when I first got it. :waytogo:

Please Andrew, do yourself a favor, if you restore it to great shape, keep it that way. I kick myself sometimes for beating the hell out of mine, after I went through a year of resto work. My 75 is no more, except for bits and pieces, makes me think back:frown1: . What a moron I was:crazy: , shoulda bought a 1/2 ton truck to chop up. oh well you know what they say about hindsight...:wink1:

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with Fred. Never saw the sense in restoring or making nice and then wheeling. Or upgrading the drive train of a 1/2 ton for that matter. That's why I went out and bought a beat K30 for a base to build on. No more in the whole truck than most people pay for just the axles, and got the body panels, 1 ton frame, 205, th400, and lots of other goodies essentially for free. If you know your going "hard core", that saves a lot of money and wasted time. So make sure you give lots of thought to which way you want to go before you start working and spending money...

14. teamhickman

Guy’s……thanks for all the positive comments! :bow:

That steering wheel is too funny, the top half is nothing but electrical tape! I could bend it all the way forward until it touched the dash! I will have to get a new one……I would like to go removable.

It will be wheeled so I know it won’t be “Restored”. I will clean it up and make it somewhat presentable but that’s about it. It is strictly function over form!

Saturday will be the first day I get to really look at so if anyone is out and about in the chandler area, please stop by. It would be a good chance to meet some of you and I would welcome any additional input. I’m on Kyrene just north of Chandler Blvd. (480) 330-5439.

Again, thanks for the “kind” comments!:thumb:

Andrew

15. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i will give u a call sometime and stop by and see it. and i will give u some history on it because if it is the same blazer im thinkin about i was goin to buy it about a year or so ago:grin: