Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pics of what you used insted of conewashers on steering arms

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spongeidys, Oct 5, 2005.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

ive completely killed the cone washers on my steering arm by trying to pry them off and hit them off but i finally got the arm off and i need something to replace my conewashers and none of the parts stores around here have them

so what have you used and do you have pics of what you used to replace them?

oh btw after whacking on the arm for 3 days i realized the studs screw out i took a vise grips and just threaded the bolts out and the arm came right off ;p

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ask around for some used ones. Call ORD. Check around. There out there.

Don't try to skimp around without cone washers. They are too vital a part for steering to be taking shortcuts on. Is someone elses life worth your own?

3. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I think I might have a set in my garage, pay the shipping and I will give them to you :D But let me make sure I have them first :wink1:

4. spongeidys

just let me know ;D

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Parts mike has them.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can NOT go with out the cone washers. I can't think of any other part that would totally prevent any side-to-side motion of the arm in relation to the knuckle. Any movement will weaken the studs until they break. If that happens at speed, you can kiss your a$$ goodbye, as you will have zero directional control... :eek1:

The GM dealer sells 'em, as does www.offroaddesign.com and probably a few other off-road specialty shops.

7. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Sorry didnt get home from work till late :mad: ...But i will look tomorrow ;)

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You could call the guy that built the truck in this thread . He will know. :D

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am pretty sure I have a set, I will check tomorrow when I go work on my truck and let ya know in case the other offer falls thru.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, somehow my D60 does just fine without cone washers. Locking tapered nuts are way better IMO. Anyone who has ever spent 6 hours trying to get rusted in POS cone washers out of a steering arm will probably agree with me. On the 60 ya just double nut 'em, lock tit'em and forget about it. Not sure why people don't do this on every other axle ever made but for some unknown reason toy / chebby half ton people "have" to use them. I have posted about this a few times on the pirate toyota board and have never ever seen a legit response as to why they'd be required over locking tapered nuts, assuming ARP or someone would make them. Considering how many "know it alls" there are over there... it seems that its just a matter of no one really thinking about it. I've never needed 'em for my k5 so I don't know if ARP makes a nut that would work.... but I wouldn't doubt it if they did.

of course, using tapered nuts would probably require the steering arm itself be machined for a proper fit. Most D44 x-over arms are probably machined to use the cone washers which are deeper than a tapered nut would be. In any case, assuming you could get the correct taper in the arm, know how to use locktite and to properly torque a nut, it'd be way better than those pos cones... which are sorta like the ugly red-headed cousin of the locking washer (another POS, but at least they come out easily!).

j

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

X2 tapered nuts rock but, i am glad i did not have to deal with cone washers!!!!

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

scary...

A local "4x4" shop that installed a lot of lift kits used Ford 9/16" lug nuts with the 1-1/6" hex when installing a drop pitman arm on a lot of lifted trucks! :eek1: --but I don't recall them ever having any comebacks or lawsuits..but I don't think I'd do it that way..I did use grade 8 bolts on my 74 K20 instead of studs(couldn't find any new ones)..but I used the old cone washers over,and grade 8 flat washers too..and torqued the P** out of them!..after one salty MA winter,I doubt I could remove them again..Dorman does make those cone washers,but not many warehouses stock them.. :crazy:

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

waiting for some of the engineering gurus to chime in on this...

j

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

so yer saying you need new stud too?

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

17. spongeidys

no dont need a new stud the arm came with new studs but i whacked away forever on the arm and someone looked cloesly at it and informed me it was threaded in and i just took visegrips and threaded it out i wish i knew about that from the beginning the arm was off in about 5 mins that way ;D

and thanks much to 70jimmy for the washers ;D

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Next time just use cone washer pliers (most parts stores sell or rent them) and use a butane torch on the old arm to expand it from the cones. It should only take 5-10 minutes max to get off an old arm. When You put in the new ones put a coat of never seize on the cones.

19. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    They are in the mail.

Corey good info on the pliers, I had no idea they existed!!

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah A buddy showed Me once and it was one of the best tools I ever saw. I don't know any other company that makes them but I do know that OTC makes them Look Here Click on the 3 links at the bottom and You will really see how they work. Any special tool you need OTC probably has it. Oh yeah they work great for Toyota hubs as well.