Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pics please?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ncgamedog, Nov 25, 2005.

1. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

ok i know this may belong in audio but there is noone in there. i just got a new clarion cd player for free! i have aftermarket head units in all my other vehicles. i wasnt going to even put a sterio in my k5 (trail rig mostly) but since its free i may as well. does any body have pics of an aftermarket cd player in a 2nd gen k5 in the stock location. looks like it may barely fit if i trim out the hole where the old radio was. but i dont want to cut it up if it wont go. my truck is a 78'. thanks in advance-justin

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

You need to cut it bigger.

3. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Yeah, cut the hole out bigger, it'll go. And it'll look good too. I don't have any pics though.

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i have a nice $300 deck in mine, you just need to cut that hole out a little bigger, but it will look good and like it belongs there.

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I have a Kenwood rectangle shaped tape deck in mine matched up with a 10 disc cd changer. I called Crutchfield and told them what stereo I had and gave them my truck info. For about $15 or $20 they sent me a kit that had a harness that plugged into my factory harness, but I had to splice it to the stereo. The kit came with a template to cut the dash out and a plate that covered up the extra open space after I cut my dash out. :D

Rick

Here's the plate that goes on your dash after you cut it out. Look's like prices have gone up in 5 years. I bought my kit in 2000. I traded a chain link fence for my stereo. :haha:

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I had to fiddle with the metal plate I got from Crutchfield... mind you, that was, geesh, back when my '74 had a top and doors :haha:

The last time around, when I put a deck into my sixpack for my abortive trip to Moab for BB05 :doah: I got clever, and cut a piece of 1/4" plastic from my local supplier. (TAP Plastics, the fantastic plastic place!) I drilled two extra holes on the inside corners, to more-or-less match the ones on the outside, and put speed clips on the sheetmetal ... looks factory, and is SOLID. I didn't need to put a strap on the back of the stereo at all.

Anyway, here's pix. I also cut the H3LL out of my glovebox and mounted a changer in there ... anywhere else I could put it in the sixpack would mean running LOTS of wire, and I'm lazy. :D

-- A

stereo1.jpg

stereo2.jpg

stereo3.jpg

stereo4.jpg

stereo5.jpg

8. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys. thought i might get left hanging. i wish i could see those pics ( non pay member) justinmallred@yahoo

9. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

also want to make sure you strap the back of the radio so it does not bounce around especially when wheelin.