Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics: That'll leave a mark!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Diesel Dan, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Pics: That\'ll leave a mark!

Traded my '93 GMC diesel in on this '98 Dodge(1/21/04).
    It is a early '98 quad cab with the 12V cummins. It's loaded, SLT trim and sport package. Power leather interior, ranch hand bumper and 4" exhaust.

Until today(1/25/04). Girl ran a stop sign and caught me in the RH rear tire. Spun me around at 55mph and into a ditch and rolled it. We were upside down and it was still idling . I did shut it down as soon as we quit rolling. [​IMG]

2. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Re: Pics: That\'ll leave a mark!

Ouch! I take it it's totaled? New life as a trail rig lol,

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

That is just sad. It almost happened to me today too (It was my wife's car so I wouldn't have been too sad though /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Snow just seems to bring out the worst in people. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4 days. Oh man, that sucks. Hope she has good insurence.

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that! That really sucks! Especially 4 days after getting that beauty of a truck. I hope that insurance covers it for you!

Kris

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Crap, that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Diesel Dan

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it will be totaled. Not a straight panel on it, except for the tailgate. Roof is caved in about 6-8".
    I paid $320 to have it towed to my house instead of a lot. My plans are to try and buy it back, for a offroad truck. If I can't buy it back directly I know a friend with a salvage license and maybe he can follow it to an auction.

8. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Yee-Ouch! That's a damn shame, I hear early 98's are really desireable /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Would make a cool trail rig if the ding on the roof doesn't buff out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Glad your still ok. No injuries?

What was the girl that hit you driving?

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats almost painful to look at!

11. Diesel Dan

OK is a relative term, as in ok compared to what /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif!
    But yeah, my brother and I are OK.

The girl was driving a early '90s dynasty I think. Talk about irony, a dodge taking out a dodge(well, DCX product). It just took the nose off her car, luckily for her I wasn't a second slower. I would have broad sided her in the drivers door and she had a 10 month old baby in the rear seat. Would not have been pretty, 7,000lbs at 55mph.

The picture really doesn't do it justice. The cab is pretty well mangled.

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it will be totaled. Not a straight panel on it, except for the tailgate . Roof is caved in about 6-8".
    I paid $320 to have it towed to my house instead of a lot. My plans are to try and buy it back, for a offroad truck. If I can't buy it back directly I know a friend with a salvage license and maybe he can follow it to an auction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because it wasnt on the truck?

That sucks, but glad to hear that nobody was seriously injured. Why did she blow the stop sign? Was she just not paying attention? I see more and more of this kind of stuff caused by younger women drivers, and yet young males pay more insurrance /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Sorry to see that such a nice truck will most likely be totalled out, but at least nobody got carried away in an ambulance.

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

man.. i cant believe someone ruined a perfectly good quad cab 12 valve 98.. glad to hear you're alright and that the girl and her young child also made it out ok.. its a shitty loss, but looking on the bright side, everyone is alive right now..
    i say build a 12valve cummins powered tube buggy with one tons and 39.5 boggers.. you sponsor it, ill drive it.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Diesel Dan

Just waiting for the adjuster to show up now. My agent said I should be able to buy it back for salvage value, whatever that turns out to be.

I couldn't believe my luck when I found this quadcab 12V, in beautiful shape too. That's what I'll tell the adjuster--try and find another clean early '98 with a 12V.

As far as the driver I guess she was distracted with the kid. She was slowing down and stopping, probably turned around to see the kid and let off the brake pedal unknowningly.

15. Diesel Dan

Insurance adjuster says it's not as bad as it looks.
    If it gets fixed they won't replace the cab /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, just piece it together from the firewall back. Both box sides have to be replaced, probably bump the hood out, repaint the tailgate. It has a couple of dings in it. Many interior pieces.

Will know more tomorrow.
    I liked the truck but really don't know if I would want it fixed after this much damage.

16. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'd take it to the nicest place in town and hope for the best. Good luck.

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Man, that sucks...and a 98' 12v Cummins too /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Glad to hear no serious injuries.

But I'm sorry to hear that now the insurance folks are trying to throw you the stiffer! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Good luck, hope it all works out for yah.

18. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

If you live in Michican - the damages have to exceed 75% of the truck value for it to be a total loss

example: 7,500.00 in damage would total out a 10,000.00 vehicle.

I am in insurance and I handle only total loss claims for all 50 states.

You will be able to buy back salvage - but it will not be cheap. A good rule of thumb is 15-20% of the truck value, the one ton trucks sale good at auction. If you keep truck, you will just have to get a salvage title placed on truck.

By the looks of it - they will total it out......it does not take much these days with the cost of parts as high as they are.

19. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

im sorry for your loss on the clean truck but I thank you for showing me how well my tow rig will handle a flip at a high speed. im impressed how well the cab held up and didnt cave all the way in. its good that you walked away unscathed. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Insurance adjuster says it's not as bad as it looks.
    If it gets fixed they won't replace the cab /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, just piece it together from the firewall back. Both box sides have to be replaced, probably bump the hood out, repaint the tailgate. It has a couple of dings in it. Many interior pieces.

Will know more tomorrow.
    I liked the truck but really don't know if I would want it fixed after this much damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a rolled vehicle considered totalled? There is no way in hell I would ever get back into that truck, it will never ride or sound the same ever again.