Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pics to 203 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevytruck75guy, Apr 29, 2003.

1. chevytruck75guy

chevytruck75guy Registered Member

a couple of days ago i posted a topic on my NP203 speedo location. finilly got 2 pictures to show u the two transfercases i have. the one on the left is this one taht came out and it its a 1973. the one on the right is a 1978 and the one i want to install. as u can see i need to get it on the drivers side. what do i need to do? thanks

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/davis10904/lst?.dir=/CHEVY+TRUCK&.view=t

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

wierd, my speedo cable screws directly into the case, I've never seen anything like what you have sticking outta the side of either of those... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. chevytruck75guy

does anyone know if it has differnt transfer case parts on it. like maybe from a NP205 or a dodge or ford transfer case. something along that line.

4. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Is this a body issue?? No room in the inn?? If it ain't I would be tempted to reroute the cable or maybe get a longer one created. I had a speedo cable built once, wasn't that expensive. As to those things hangin off the side of the t-case, aren't those gear reducers?? Good luck.
    Allan

5. chevytruck75guy

problem is i noticed it after i pulled out the motor/tranny/transfercase. the way the cable fit i don't think it would reach across the case itself.i thought about getting one made but i have no clue on where to get something like that done

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The picture on the left is to adjust the output of the case on the case to the gearing on the axle so the speedo will be acurate. It unscrews and you can screw the speedo cable dirrectly into the case. My 75 had one. It locked up and had to be removed.
    The one on the left is to make the cable output change dirrections. My 88 Sub has one to get the cable away from the exhast. Nice to have if you have an exhast clearence issue. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The tail cone has a O-Ring and you could swap the very end of the cone over to the new case and no need for main seal but you might want to replace the yoke seal while it's apartl I have got that seal at auotozone before.
    What you will possibly need to do is check the end play on the output shaft. Nothing scary will happen when you pull that off. Nothing is going to fall off. On the front page of the site is a Mile Marker write up I did and there is pictures with it dissassembled.
    I would sugect measuring the endplay before taking apart and shim to the same as the known good case has. The other case will have some shims so you should have enough.

I haven't got a good answer for that passengerside speedo output. As I recall the tail is indexed and will only go on one way. You can tell by the vent hole.

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Sorry can't see you pictures !
    Around 1976 GM changed the output position for the
    speedo connection on the NP203.
    And the output section are clocked, so they are not
    interchangable.

8. chevytruck75guy

Well isn't that nice. guess its time to get a new speedo cable