Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics wanted: TBI fuel pressure gage permanently installed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Nov 3, 2003.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

I want to do this, I have some ideas, but pics from anywhere would be good to help with ideas. Thanks.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Go to www.thirdgen.org and look at the TBI board..........I've seen pics of TPI motors with permanently mounted ones so I assume someone has done if for TBI...........if you get any, post link please. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Frank, I've looked over there /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. The F-bodies TBI fuel line routing is different from the trucks. It's easy on a camaro, the K5 will be more difficult. If I find any pics, I will post em....If not, I will post up what I do to mine when it's done.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

It would be nice to see it in the cab (IE a sensor on the fuel line at the back of the Thrttle body and a gauge in the truck). /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

A gauge in the engine bay on TBI would be under the air cleaner /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Problem with in cab mounting is that it requires a mechanical to electrical sender which is rather expensive. It’s much more than the gauge in fact. It also tends to be less responsive from what I’ve heard.

You can't use a mechanical in the cab without some danger of a rupture spilling fuel in the cab. Mechanicals are relatively cheap (usually under $50). But, they don't need to go directly on the line. You could T off a short distance but remember that pressure drops over distance through a tube so you don't want to go far. It will also make it slightly slower acting and less able to display pulses. However, I have considered running a pressure cage on the hood/cowl like the old hood mounted tachs. You would only need a 6-10” of flex line from the T to do this. You could also build custom (soft) lines to loop up and back down if you desire.

Just some random thoughts that have crossed my mind in the last year or so I’ve considered this…

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The best way to use a mechanical guage inside the truck is with an isolator. Granted the set up is a little expensive (roughly $115) but it's well worth it.

[​IMG]

I had this set up in my K10 and I loved it! Having the guage where I could see it while driving made a world of difference in problem diagnosis. From personal experience I can say that having a guage under the hood where you cannot see it does you no good when a given problem only happens under load.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, under the hood limits the benefits, that's why I thought a hood/cowl mounted gauge would be nice. And if your saying you can get the complete setup for $115, where? When I priced the issolator kit by itself it was right at $100.

Also, the thing that kills me is that everyone completely freaks out if someone mentions putting a fuel pressure gauge in the cab without the isolator/converter. Yet nobody comments on a fuel cell mounted in a buggy (or K5) where you can almost touch it from the drivers seat. Fuel lines clearly visible and not isolated from the passenger area. Pressurized fuel lines run within inches of exhaust, and some buggies have nothing but plastic or expanded metal between the driver and the lines. How about hoodless, glassless buggies/truggies where you can lean forward and (with a LONG arm) touch the injection unit? Funny how selective people are when getting hysterical or safety conscious. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not condoning any of this, fuel gauge or otherwise. Just making an observation…

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, under the hood limits the benefits, that's why I thought a hood/cowl mounted gauge would be nice. And if your saying you can get the complete setup for $115, where? When I priced the issolator kit by itself it was right at $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kit I posted was from Summit. In retrospect my post was a little misleading, the guage and isolator kit is $115 but you still have to buy all of the plumbing from the isloator to the motor which could easily run another $50.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, the thing that kills me is that everyone completely freaks out if someone mentions putting a fuel pressure gauge in the cab without the isolator/converter. Yet nobody comments on a fuel cell mounted in a buggy (or K5) where you can almost touch it from the drivers seat. Fuel lines clearly visible and not isolated from the passenger area. Pressurized fuel lines run within inches of exhaust, and some buggies have nothing but plastic or expanded metal between the driver and the lines. How about hoodless, glassless buggies/truggies where you can lean forward and (with a LONG arm) touch the injection unit? Funny how selective people are when getting hysterical or safety conscious. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not condoning any of this, fuel gauge or otherwise. Just making an observation…

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely with what you said about having the tanks so close to the occupants. I ran local mud bogs for the past 6~7 years and it's amazing that so few 4x4 governing bodies and/or local officials regulate this stuff. Groups like the NHRA specify firewall material and thickness as well as the max amount of soft hose a vehicle can have. **All of this for a vehicle that was never intended to be laid on it's side or roof**

I once saw an S10 cab truck that was a modified class bogger tear a rubber fuel hose loose by running over an out-of-bounds post. the electric fuel pump sprayed fuel into the cab (windowless) burning the driver (no fire suite), then the fire melted the aluminum "firewall" (wrong material & thickness). Track officials were unable to put out the fire because the fuel pump continued to run (no cutoff switch) untill the battery cable melted and fell off the battery. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

One day the crawling comps are going to have to consider this type of stuff with relation to the buggy/truggy crowd. I hope it never happens but you can almost see an accident coming.

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well...gm's drawback is unlike ford there is no psi tap on the efi system which makes diagnostics a pain...i've often thought of cutting the ends of the stock tbi tank sender and having AN fittings installed as they are much easier to work with than the infamous saginaw fittings they use..earl's sells saginaw to an fittings for the tbi itself...(grantnow has them as i bought them at Lopers on 43rd ave...)...anyways..at this point it would cost some coin to buy the stratoflex line but one would be able to install a aluminum block forward and aft of the filter so one could check for restriction in the filter...just an idea...

DW

10. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    gm's drawback is unlike ford there is no psi tap on the efi system which makes diagnostics a pain

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is exactly why I want a gage there. A quick check/ troubleshoot tool for on the trail diagnostics. If I need to monitor the pressure while driving, I can temporarily disconnect the gage, and extend the tap into the cab.....

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can't use a mechanical in the cab without some danger of a rupture spilling fuel in the cab

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus my electronic sensor idea

If your going to run another gauge how about one of the Y fittings top left Y point goes to hood mounted gauge and lower right goes to TBI

I guess being up here in the snow for 5months out of the year I dont even consider hood mounted guages /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I got an adapter from NAPA (I will get the part number tomorrow while I am at work) that plugs inline on the supply line. It has a 1/4"NPT hole that I threaded an NPT to JIC(AN fitting) adapter and then put my AutoMeter 3' stainless line (is -03 I think)up through a hole in the hood that I drilled. I have a 2-1/16" Sport Comp gauge in the chrome mounting pod on my hood...When I put on a cowl induction hood, I am gonna get an ultralite 2-1/16" gauge and mount it in the cowl...

Chris

13. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Chris, did you get a part number?

My first attempt tonight at a plan failed miserably, leaked like crazy. I used cheap compression fittings, instead of Swagelok, oh well, live and learn /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back to the drawing board /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The Lopers on 43rd is now closed. They now operate only out of there store on 9th ST. & Indian School, and the one in Mesa (east side somewhere). I recently bought Saginaw to AN fittings from them. $8 each or so.

Fred, couldn't you just mount a T in the fuel line near the TBI and run a port of the T to a gauge and the other to the TBI?