Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Tweetysuarus, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Broken Pinion Gear
    [​IMG]
    Fully disassembled
    [​IMG]
    Aaron installing new ring gear with loc tite
    [​IMG]
    New pinion with shims and bearing
    [​IMG]
    Bearing being pressed on the pinion
    [​IMG]
    Installing the locker with the new gear
    [​IMG]
    Checking the shims
    [​IMG]
    Setting up a dial indicator, not zero'd yet!
    [​IMG]
    Backlash set at .006
    [​IMG]
    All this wouldn't have been possible without the help from Aaron! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif He da man! This was an all day project. We had to disassemble the rearend and remove the gear set to swap for the new set at 4 Wheel Parts. The removal of the locker was not an easy task, the preload was very tight as well as the pinion removal was quite tight as well. Well the parts were supposed to there at 10am, But you know how that goes! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif They did arrive on time so we went to pick up new axle seals and get lunch while we waited for the truck to arrive. Finally we get the gaerset and headback to do the install after cleaning up all the parts. Aaron installed the new gear on the locker and pressed the new bearing on the pinion after he measured the shim thickness and set the pinion depth, we got lucky the first time and got a good reading! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif,Next was to setup the back lash in the locker. Once again frist time with .006 on the dial indicator! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif! Then came the hard part! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifInstalling the crush sleeve! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif What a pain in the buttkis! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif When we started to get the crush sleeve to compress the first bit was quite stuburn and we could only get about 1" of movement in the breakerbar! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif But Aarons persistance won out over time after several breakerbar feild goals /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifBut he didn't give up and finally got the pinion preload done /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif! We then had the final clean up and fill with oil and test drive! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif!
    No problems so far! Aaron is da man! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    Thanx Aaron!
    Bill

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cool deal, glad to hear everything went relatively smoothly for ya /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. Tweetysuarus

Yup! I can't wait for the break in procedure to be over with! Where are the little elves in the middle of the night to do this while I sleep! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Bill

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Nice photos, but I don't see any of it on the trailer with those bad a$$ wheels and tires /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. Tweetysuarus

I fergot on purpose! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Couldn't get myself hammered on for weeks for the NHRA look!
    Bill

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Sweet pics. Looks like you could be a 4x4 mag photographer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Tweetysuarus

I wish, They make bank!
    Bill

8. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Aaron, beardless? Thats just unheard of!!!!

9. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

it is summer i think he wants to keep cool or seem cool i dont know which

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Hay now, lets take it easy here. I never claimed to be cool although the air has been getting a bit warmer lately......

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

hey i never said you claimed to be cool I said you were trying to seem cool dont be getting all confused now. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Tweetysuarus

Now, now no more [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Bill