Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not sure what the next mod is, but the options are definitely open!

I just scanned these, figured I'd share 'em with y'all.

[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looking good Tim!! Is that the same truck that rolled away on you? If it is you did a nice job fixing it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, same one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif New frame, same box though. That box needs to go but I haven't found a one yet.

I like how big it is, but obviously its time for bigger tires.

4. tRustyK5

From the pic's the box looks pretty good...you'd know better than I would though.

Must have been a time consuming job replacing the frame...how long did it take?

rene

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The box is actually all messed up, that's the good side of it that I showed for the pictures. The floor of it is all bent from when the frame bent.

I'd say all in all it took about three solid weeks working 8-10 hours a day. I did my 4 speed swap in the process, too and converted the front to 8 lug at the same time.

I am trying to think of all the projects I did while I had it apart but I did a bunch of stuff. There are a lot of things I'd like to go back over as I was in a hurry for the 4wd show that was in early August. But it basically took me most of July and I did about $1500 worth of work at that time.

For some reason my clutch pedal is all messed up, it wobbles, it's not installed correctly. I got to figure that out as well as the mech linkage and replace the engine I blew up when I finally get home in late February.

Can you believe that's 6+3 and 35s?

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Maybe the clutch pedal bushings are shot.

7. tRustyK5

I can relate to the big time consuming project...and yes that does look like 6+3./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here are a few pic's of my latest nightmare project. Winter project

I swapped a 6.2 into my truck...then got carried away. D60 went in, rear disc's, anti wrap bar, converted from AC heater to non AC, compltely re-wired the whole truck (except for the tail lights) frame repair kit, cleaned and re-sealed tranny and T-case, new core support and inner fenders, repaired front fender cracks and a few thousand little details cleaned up along the way.

I hope to start it up for the first time on Saturday. I have to build some exhaust for it tonight. We've been working on it for 5 weeks now, mostly at night and Saturdays.

Rene

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

holy s***! You put a WHAT in your truck? Cool. I actually wouldn't mind having a 6.2 myself but I haven't learned enough about Diesels yet to put one in my truck.

I really need to get cracking on my truck when I get home. That clutch linkage is rigged like crazy. When I did drive my truck it came apart on me about 3 times in a 2 week period. One time I was about 30 miles from the house. Thank God for the 465...I had no problem shifting without the clutch on the way home. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh so you went with the Diaphram clutch? How do you like it? Mine really isn't that rough on my leg when the pedal works.

I don't know what it is, every time I lift my truck more than it was before, it tends to look small after a while. That's how I got to 6+3. Either way it's grown too big for its tires. It has Superlift front springs I got from a buddy,(traded him my Rancho 4") longer/stronger front shackles that I made from 5/16" or so plate, and the Echobit 6" shackle flip out back with a stock set of 52" springs. I think I'd be perfectly happy with it had I not installed the body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I guess now I just have to buy some 38s or 39.5s, what a tragedy.

I'm actually considering a D60. I found one in the area. The price is a little more than I want to pay for it though.

9. tRustyK5

I spent a few weeks reading old posts in the diesel forum to get a bit of background info on the 6.2's...they tend to get an undeserved bad rap. As for learning about them...I just sort of jumped in with both feet and went for it. The best way to learn is to do...

I had the Borg&Beck (3 finger) clutch with my 350 and I hated it. The pedal effort was so high it was crazy, plus it made taking off without clutch chatter hard because it was hard to be smooth with it.

The 6.2 came with the diaphragm clutch so I went with it...it wasn't brand new but looked to be in good shape. I did have to install a new pilot bearing which was a lot more fun than I needed to have./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

As for linkage it can be adjusted so it doesn't fall apart on you. I installed a new pivot ball on the outside of the bellhousing and greased the bell crank assembly (prolly the first grease it's ever seen/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I then adjusted the link to the release fork until I had about 1/2" of freeplay at the pedal. The only part I lack is a clutch return spring on the pedal...mine broke. I would guess I need a new bushing at the top of the clutch pedal too...mine wobbles a little and does squeak. The clutch feel is rermarakbly softer with this clutch though.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm actually considering a D60. I found one in the area. The price is a little more than I want to pay for it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not getting any cheaper either!!

rene

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Tim - Your truck looks great! I don't know why I was thinking that you had something else. Why is it that trucks tend to look better with more lift and less tire? I think the lack of fender trimming makes the 35's look big enough, that and the wheel base! How long until you get back home?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

rene--I knew you had a Borg and Beck and hated it, that's why you convinced me to buy the diaphram. Remember? It wasn't THAT long ago. That's why I wasn't surprised to see that you ditched your caveman clutch!!

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm back right now but only 'til next Thursday. I'll be home in Febuary for good.

The more lift/less tire thing...who knows. It's growing on me a bit. It makes you look like a mall-running poser but oh well. My buddy Josh has 12+3 and 44" Ground Hawgs. My truck basically looks like a mini-version of his, a body floating on tires.

My truck is rough enough looking in reality that it's obvious that it gets wheeled. In fact, ever since that day its been covered with mud and I never did wash it because I was pissed off at it for blowing the motor up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Honestly, if the whole truck looked like that right side does, it'd be great. Unfortunately that truck has a lot of loose ends that are really bothering me. Once I get the engine in, the clutch linkage figured out, and fix the floor that I massacred cutting for the mechanical linkage, it'll be ready to rock.

I know that D60 isn't cheap and not getting cheaper. The thing is, I really don't need it. It'd be nice of course, but I really just don't need it for what I do. Then again, if I had it, I would probably try ANYTHING. Not that I don't already. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, thanks for ridding my truck of blocks!! 6+3 no lift blocks and insane flex. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks awesome. Great job. The only thing i can nit pick is that it looks like your exhaust is hanging low.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

congrats getting this thing back on the road... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Its because of the body lift. Thats as high as I can get it until I can fab something up to get those pipes up closer to the body. I'm going to have to put some bends in the tailpipes if I want them higher.

In a way I wish I never put the body lift on there, but with the cab hanging in the air, how can you resist?

Jeff,

Thanks. It took quite a bit of work. Now my buddy that helped me with it wants to buy it.

15. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I knew you had a Borg and Beck and hated it, that's why you convinced me to buy the diaphram. Remember? It wasn't THAT long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

They say the second thing to go is your memory...I can't remember what the first thing is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's coming back to me...slowly. You have been gone a while, hell I've hardly had anyone to pick on since you've been gone. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif J/K!!

Rene

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You put a 6.2 in your truck and you're gonna pick on someone else?????? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. tRustyK5

I must be sick or something huh?? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nah actually a 6.2 isn't that bad, just makes you easy to pick on.

19. tRustyK5

LOL...turn about is fair play./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

We better call a truce on this one or it might get ugly. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif