Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picture: Low compression cylinder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Think this cylinder has low compression?
    [​IMG]

I had this gut feeling the sound of pieces dropping into the oil pan was what was left of a piston.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

rings are still good:haha:

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

when the pic was loading (yes im on dialup :p:) it looked like there was a stream running out from the cyl wall next to the hole. I was going to say I found your problem someone left the cyl cooler switch open... but then I saw it was really a ring! :yikes: How'd you blow that piston up?

4. mountainexplorer

I was told this motor was "bad". When I got the truck home, I went to try and start it to see how bad. It fired once. Then fired a 2nd time (priming it with gas). Then it pulled fuel up, fired and ran for a bit once it pulled up fuel. It was making a not so loud clatter. Then all of a sudden, after about 10 seconds of running, it sounded like a big backfire, and it died. Wouldn't spin over anymore.

I drained the oil... and 2 gallons of coolant came out before oil (there wasn't any water on the dipstick when I first tried starting the motor).

I'm thinking a wristpin was the initial culprit. Then when I fired it trying to make it run it must have shattered then.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Congrats on a Job well done!

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: well at least ya had fun blowing it up right? It's all that matters.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What's wrong with ya? Loads of life left in that! Now when I was in the war......:grin:

8. mountainexplorer

To the right person, it would still be worth having the one cylinder sleeved. The rest of the cylinders are all standard and the crank is standard.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"right persons" hard to find lately--

Its not easy to find someone willing to buy an engine that needs a sleeve,unless its a rare block or they want matching #'s ,but you never know.....but the bright side is.........

Scrap is 75 bucks or more a ton here,might be more in your area--that motor will still buy your groceries for a few days,even it its current state of disrepair....:grin:

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

NICE!

Reminds me of a story that a guy I work with told us. He was an armored-vehicle mechanic with 1st Armored Division in Iraq; they had a bridge-launcher take a hit and come in (under it's own power) for repair. The bridge launcher is powered by an air-cooled 12-cylinder Continental diesel, and each cylinder has it's own "jug". Well, whatever hit them took out an entire jug, right where the jug bolts to the crankcase.
    The motor still ran!
    He said it sounded like s**t, but it ran. Said it was insane to stand there and watch the crank throw for that jug spinning in a no-BS running diesel engine.....

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

2 stroke conversion>:saweet:

Or did you get tired of water cooled and switch to air? lol.

What ever happened to the old two stroke diesels?