Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picture story from my Portland Swap Meet trip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Both my radiator seems blew out Wednesday night as I was going through the Tri-Cities. Called KennyW who was in Seattle but had a radiator at his place near where I was. So I went over and did a radiator swap and then went on my way towards Portland.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stopped and slept at a rest area and continued the last hour to Portland Thursday morning.
    [​IMG]

Got my stuff set up before T-Roy got his stuff there. Kenny brought his stuff down late Thursday. The headers in the foreground were ones we found dumped off way up on a backroad near Ione last fall. I started at 5 bucks and ended up getting $1 for them. My goal was to see if I could turn crap I found into cash... and I proved my theory right.
    [​IMG]

Found a good use for my old radiator.
    [​IMG]

People kept asking, "How much for the Rock?". So I had to write this.
    [​IMG]

Saturday... the main day. Can you say RAIN?
    [​IMG]

We tried making a bridge to lure people across the swamp to view our stuff.
    [​IMG]

Saturday afternoon... we finally figure out that shelter is good. We moved out of our spot upground. Technically, we asked for and got the same spot as last year. But they moved the number system around... so physically we were down the road from last year's spot in the lowlands instead of a nice graveled area.
    [​IMG]

Sunday rolled around and I just had to buy these new 40" Ground Hawgs for $300 with a set of rims too. Only thing is one had started to be transformed into a pro-mud drag paddle. Oh well, they won't see pavement anyways. (Notice the sun comes out the last day as we are leaving).
    [​IMG]

From the Swap Meet I was supposed to visit my Aunt (on my dad's side of the family) in McMinnville, Or on Monday, and then drive to Seattle and take care of some parts I was dropping off and then pick up my Aunt and Uncle (on my mom's side) as well as my mom's best friend at SeaTac on Wednesday the 12th. They were flying in from the Philippines after recovering from the gunshot wounds sustained when I was there 3 weeks prior.

I found out they got bumped up and would arrive at SeaTac Monday at noon. So after meeting up with Colbystephens shortly, I went to McMinnville real quick Sunday night and visited my aunt in the memory care center (92yrs old).
    [​IMG]

Drove from McMinnville to Tacoma (McChord AFB) Sunday night and parked on a street outside McChord AFB at 2am and slept. Woke up at 7 and dropped off parts with Dillon and then headed towards SeaTac.

When I finally got the call to drive up to the main Terminal at SeaTac airport, I had alot of people looking at me as I slowly drove up in this:
    [​IMG]

Luckily no airport security questioned me for suspicious loads.

A quick stop in North Bend at Arby's.
    [​IMG]

My aunt and uncle's first time in a Fullsize Chevy... first time in America too.
    [​IMG]

My Uncle and my mom's best friend were doing well having recovered from the gunshot wounds. And this is the last chapter to a rather long story I posted up in the lounge. I'll probably sit down and write a descriptive ending for that story (which would be this trip as the ending).

Anyways, made it back home $337.40 in fuel later after having sold a bunch of parts, buying some parts, visiting a few friends, family, and giving a somewhat happy ending to a story that didn't have on yet.

Now to sort through all the crap I brought back with me from the Swap Meet. :crazy:

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

nice score on the hawgs.. mine were only $1500 more than that!!!! :doah:

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You're a natural story writer. With the pics I found it an extremely good read. Thanks for the chapter!

4. mountainexplorer

I hadn't planned on buying anything. But I was just browsing around when I see this stack of big tires with a $400 sticker on them. And theres the set of rims near them too. The last day they were still there with 300 on just the tires and 350 for rims and tires. So I said I'd take them for 300 for all and the guy said ok (probably didn't want to take them home).

T-Roy is one of the best guys to share a booth with. He's always sparking up conversation with people walking by, getting them to stop and look through stuff, with lines like "Guaranteed we can send you home with enough stuff to piss of your wife" and both him and KennyW were both using the line "You're not carrying enough stuff- We can fix that" or "You NEED that".

Then there was the one memorable quote from T-Roy as he returned from using the outhouse; "There's someone walking around here that's really not healthy AT ALL". I didn't ask for any more details on that one.

I think my story skills leave much to be desired. I always try and write just short things and they turn out being too long, and then when I'm done and it's long I look back and I still left out a bunch of details.

5. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

I might have missed this but, how did they suffer gunshot wounds? Was it during that lockdown in PI?

Oh yah, almost forgot. Mabuhay ang mga Pilipino!

6. mountainexplorer

7. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

wow. that is insane. you are a very good story teller. i don't speak the language either. if anything i speak taglish. LMAO. at least you been there as i have not. i'm glad your relatives are ok. peace.

8. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Good story and pic's I enjoyed it.

9. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Now that is a good story. I can never keep reading something without pics. Gets bored easy with no pics. Nice score on the tires and rims too.

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

MAN i wish i could have stoped by but i was BUSY! all freakin weekend. We'll meet sometime though damit.

11. mountainexplorer

We felt lonely at our spot. This year, the only CK5 visitor that KennyW, T-Roy and myself had was IGOR and we also did meet Dorian's (dyeager535)'s dad.

Last year we had a former member MrBill join in on our spot and a few others stopped by. I think the rain deterred alot of people too. There wasn't the big crowd that Saturday usually brings when it's sunny out.

At least I didn't have to change a timing chain like last year! And I didn't drag home half a motorhome.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134351&highlight=Portland+Swap+Meet