Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pictures from the WIldomar Trip. As seen in the pacific forum!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SchnorrCS, Aug 20, 2006.

1. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Ok, just to fill everyone in, me and Sponsoredbydad were trying to get a trip together to go to WIldomar OHV Area on top of Ortega Hwy here in Socal. We planned to meet at 9 am at a gas station at the foot of the hill, and when I showed up, SSped was there too!!
    We sat around looking at our trucks and shooting the crap for about ten minutes before we headed up the mountain to play.
    The trucks:
    SchnorrCS: 74K5 350/350/203 (Black one)
    SSped: 84 (I think) K5 6.2/700r4/208 (White one)
    S.B.D: 82 Burb (Hey, SBD, Fill in the tech, huh?) (Duh...)

Once we got to the OHVA, we started up one of the bigger hills, and all made it up pretty easily. Wildomar is a kinda sandy, soft terrain area, with some rocks and alot of nasty ruts and stuff. Not the most extreme area, but there are lots of different lines to take to make it super easy for beginners or semidifficult for more expert guys. Fun all around.

Wildomar 027.jpg

Wildomar 001.jpg

Wildomar 003.jpg

Wildomar 008.jpg

Wildomar 012.jpg

2. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

OK...So you may be wondering why I didn't put up anymore pics of my own truck....Well here's why.
    On the second decently steep hill, I snagged one of the lines on my Jerry Rigged Tranny cooler, tore it off, and spewed tranny fluid all over the place. We all thought, oh no biggie, trim the hose, stick it back on, and carry on. Well, turns out it was braided steel line and we couldn't get it to suck down to the hard line and stay tight. SO we did the best we could, got her running, limped her back to the trail head and parked it. For the record, it did get me all the way home. The worst part of the whole thing is that I have a new trans cooler I bought because I knew the PO had this crapper half assed onto the truck, and I was ten minutes away from swapping it the night before when my buddy showed up with a 12 pack and a video game :doah: ....Oh well. I got her fixed this afternoon, and I'll have to go back this weekend and do it again...

Hey guys, i fyou get a chance, post up your pics too. At least that way I can have an action pic or two of my truck...:p: Please??? Swweeettttt

PM me you emails when you can too. Mike took about 30 pics of the ordeal, so I wanna get them to you. I could only post up 5 at a time, and there are alot to choose from....

Wildomar 005.jpg

Wildomar 006.jpg

Wildomar 009.jpg

Wildomar 007.jpg

Wildomar 010.jpg

3. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Good times. Thanks again for the help fellas.....Sorry to put a damper on things...................Still had a good time though. SSped.....you're crazy buddy.

One story to share about the trip....
    When my truck died, we got her back to the parking lot, and I jumped in with SSped and rode with him. He had his dog with him. A mini pincher named penny. She doesn't like the sound of brush against the truck, and tries to attack the branches and leaves out the open window. Alot. She would try an djump out and I'd have to catch her or out the window she'd go. Fuunny girl. Well he drives his truck right into a big rut and starts spinning. I jumped out to spot, and he pulled the reverse, throttle it out approach. When it finally popped out, it slammed hard on the rear bumper. Thought it ripped it off, but just knocked it good and loose. I jumped in, looked at him, and he was laughing hard as hell. "I need a new one anyway!"

10 minutes later, we busted the drivers side mirrow on a boulder. More laughter ensued.......

Good times.

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Looks like you guys had some fun. Was it just a bunch of hills? Looks like a great place for a noobie to start out.

-Avery

5. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Yea, lots of hills. Like I said earlier, you just have to pick your line. A newb could start there, as long as he picks his line. SBD's truck isn't really high, and I didn't hear him drag on anything all day. Mines not super high either, but I picked a hard line and tore a trans line. Cool area.

6. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Still waiting for new pics....

7. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ok I'm a lager. I'm at work now I'll work on it tonight.most of my pics came out a little fuzzy. spent the rest of yesterday fixin the wifes ride.[happy wife happy life] Yea it was fun in a roof rack rippin way.The kid had fun also.

8. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

How about you SSped?

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

When I get my hydro on I will def have to head up there. Readymix lives just around the corner from there. I could prolly get away without my hydro but I am welded in the front:o . I am looking at getting a group together to hit corral canyon when the temps come down. Mini hijack over:D .

Ira

10. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Saaawwwweeeet.

I could have spent a lot more time out there. as I was rehooking up the sway bar and unlocking to leave the parking lot I realized one of the front hubs was not locked the whole time we were out. I was basically running the whole time with no front 4wd. just low range and the locker. That thing pushes so hard in the rear I could barely tell the front was not engaged. every time I take that Damn truck out she blows me away at what she will conquer.

CIMG2975.JPG

CIMG2976.JPG

CIMG2980.JPG

CIMG2981.JPG

CIMG2997.JPG

11. ssped

Mo money shots

It was fun running through the brush and rocks. We should have headed further up that trail to the top but I know we left SBD back waiting for us at the junction. The Burban did great on every thing I liked that little steep section in the front that we dropped in on and "lightly :D scraped" the rear bumper. Well if she comes off she stays off and if it breaks you buy a better one that wont break Right? there has to be an excuse there somewhere like "she just fell off while I was driving down the street!"

I love the black on red and that rear Diff cover is sweet. it is to bad we had to leave her in the parking lot. she would have been fun in the rocks. we have to go back for a day and play again.

CIMG3002.JPG

CIMG3005.JPG

CIMG3007.JPG

CIMG3006.JPG

CIMG3016.JPG

12. ssped

OOPS fergot the money shot

top O the hill.

CIMG2995.JPG

13. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Nice shots buddy.
    Yea, I hated leaving her behind, but what can ya do? Once I got home with it, I think I probably could have kept going, but better for the truck, land, and my nerves to fix it right and try another day.
    Your blazer was awsome! No wonder we couldn't pull out of the rut that "tapped" your bumper. Would have been way easier in 4 low....

Well, SBD, we are only waiting on your input.

Great trip...

14. ssped

I am glad I did not have those sliders on there. that was a good squeeze up on the top where we hit the mirror. we would have taken out a kicker up there. I was looking and I did hit the rocker behind the left front tire. Oh well good excuse to start cutting pieces off.

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Are there any pics of some of the rocks up there? It is only about 1 hour for me and is about the same distance to corral canyon. I would really like to hit up there one weekend.

Ira

16. ssped

I only have 2

I was to busy driving to remember to take more pix. I think SBD got more than I did I am hoping. these were in the same spot at the top. pushing it through the bad spot and getting tangled in the soft stuff in the rear I was digging holes here up against these rocks. had to back out off the side of the trail to angle the rig and get back on course. most stuff you can take an easy route or a hard line. The further up this trail it gets worse and worse. All the way at the the top as you start to drop down there are scull and crossbone paintings on the rocks that say do not contiinue. And for good reason. Big boulder down hill with a car eating Rut the last time I looked and steeper that DOO DOO.

CIMG2986.JPG

CIMG2987.JPG

CIMG2988.JPG

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It is a good thing you dodn't try to head down that hill.
    I tried a few times and about rolled the truck all the way down. Granted, everytime I have tried it has been dark.

18. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

No SBD Yet?

19. sponsoredbydad

sorry time restraints and computer trouble at home and can't do it from work:doah:

20. sponsoredbydad

my camera sucks but here goes[​IMG][​IMG] yep I did[​IMG]the real SBD[​IMG][​IMG]stock tweakage[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]nice angles[​IMG]check out how the rear wheels suck up in the well. NICE!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006