Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pictures: Muddy play day at my place

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 23, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Since I no longer have official two lane mud pits in the field, I have now opened up one of our backroads on the property to a few of us to play at. It's only for about 2 months in the spring theres mud and water here; the rest of the year it's dry.
    Since nothing in "the Fleet" is together that I play with, I took the Bend Oregon red '83 Chevy and decided to throw 40's on it and drive it around. It was a big improvement over the dinky tires I had on it to move it around. This was the first time I've actually driven this truck other than a few miles in Oregon and off the trailer and into the garage up here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We also had a Dodge D-50, Ford F250 with a 6.9 Diesel- we stuck two of my 35" Swampers on the back of it), and my old red '84 K20 on 36" Goodyears. Everyone else was a no show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At first we just played around a little on the road that leads into my "storage clearing" and on the east edge where a spring run-off from melting snow has made it a bit muddy. I broke through to a big hole on the main road making it difficult to get back out or in that way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the "mud course" I had planned is an old road that has ruts and water in them, and it loops back around down across the seasonal run-off/swamp and back into the field.
    [​IMG]

On my last pass I bounced a bit as I hammered the throttle and then suddenly it acted like it popped out of gear. I ended up shattering the coupler between the 465/205, or I sheared off the splines. No power out of the T-case to either driveline in 2 or 4.
    [​IMG]
    [
    But it was still a fun day.
    [​IMG]

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice pics Allen. Keep us posted on what broke in your 465/205 combo. That coupler and the 10 splines worries me sometimes.

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

that looks like a ton of fun :bow: :bow:

4. mountainexplorer

Yeah, my friend broke 2 couplers in the Big Crew Cab when he owned it. I've never broke one yet myself.

I didn't think that a Goodwrench 350 would have had enough power to do that, but I guess being locked front and rear with 40's could have added enough stress.

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do you know what condition the coupler was in? I've heard that if the splines or the shafts are the least bit worn it lets go a lot easier.

6. mountainexplorer

This was my first real time to drive the truck. Up to that point, there was no abnormal clunking or loud noises. It just went all of a sudden.