Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pictures of breakage...that explains why my 6.2L sounded so funny :(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Mar 24, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I finally got to the root of my engine troubles in my M1009. Just a brief recap for those who didn't see my earlier posts.

I was driving my M1009 a few months ago and when I pulled up next to my deuce in the driveway, it just died all of a sudden. I tried to restart, but no good. I notice that my electric fuel pump wasn't running so my first thought was that it conked out and the injection pump lost its prime. I replaced the pump and bled the air up to the injection pump. I cracked the injector lines and cranked the engine over. I got a little diesel at a couple of the injectors, but never at the rest of them. While cranking to bleed the air the engine started making funny popping noises up through the intake. Weird huh? Well I tore the front of the engine down thinking there was something wrong with the timing. I discovered that the cam bolt had vibrated out allowing the pump driving gear to fall away from the pump gear. Dang. Well, I put it all back together and it started real quick, but it was making a machine gun racket sound out of the intake. I shut it down real fast. Today, I pulled the valve covers off looking for bent valves or something. The left side was normal, but when I pulled the right cover off, I saw some serious carnage. Check this out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am thinking that the engine must have jumped time because the timing gear lost index on the cam shaft when the bolt came out. The pistons met the valves and busted the rocker assembly into pieces. It's strange that it only affected the right side. I would have expected bent valves or push rods, but damn, not a busted rocker shaft. I'm guessing there is also some serious internal problems on that side with the valves and maybe pistons so I will end up pulling the engine instead of just bolting up a couple of rocker assemblies. I figure the driver's side has problems too. Well, now I have been through everything with this Blazer, maybe.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Chris

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ouch /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If you need a new one I got you covered. Just PM me /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. steelsoldiers

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I may have it covered though. I talked to a guy who's selling a rusted out 3/4 ton 4x4 that has a Jasper rebuilt 6.2L in it. Supposedly it has real low miles on it too. I'm going to check it out after work so keep your fingers crossed guys.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would pull the head and see if the pistons are messed up. Chances are that they're not and you'll just need one head and associated gaskets.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looks likea big boo-boo /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've heard of a lot of people with early (82-83) 6.2Ls break those cast rocker arms. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The later design used stamped steel rockers, and they were used all the way into the 6.5L years. Weight is the same, but reliability is much improved with the new style rockers. Hope everything else is okay, and it runs strong again in the neat future! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. steelsoldiers

Hmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have heard from another guy that some engine manufacturers designed the rocker shafts to break vs. the valves or pushrods, but I don't know about that. Both rocker shafts broke where the holddown bolt went through the shaft and there was not a lot of material there as you can see from the photos. I don't know, maybe they were fatigued from the 150k hard miles and just snapped when stressed like that. I have never seen that before, but strange things happen I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I agree with Tim. Don't toss the engine. Pull the head and check out the pistons. You may only need to replace one or no pistons.

So with a couple replacement parts you could buy the truck with the Jasper engine, swap the Jasper engine for your current engine, fix and put your current engine in the ex-Jasper truck and either re-sell it to make some of your money back or just keep it as a spare vehicle.

And if nothing else, the block and crank could always be salvaged.

Just a thought to try and save you some cash!

10. steelsoldiers

Yeah that's good thinking. After I pull it from the Blazer and get it on the stand I'll be able to check things out a lot more. We'll see what it looks like on the inside. I'll either keep it for a spare or put it in the K20, I could use another beater /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

If you want to save it for later then pull the pan first. I've seen the blocks crack at the main webs with as little as 70K on them. Crank and balancer were still good.

12. steelsoldiers

I have heard that too on the DieselPage. I was on a site the other day that sold stud girdles for the 6.2L. Might be a worthwhile investment for the rebuilt 6.2L /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

cool..pics

14. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

See that avatar of yours. That's what the original poster looks like now:haha: , this thread was way old!

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

i have no idea what your talking about, I am a fan of recycling:D

16. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status