Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pictures of my '72 K5 - Top Removed!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Pictures of my \'72 K5 - Top Removed!!

OK, I still can't figure out how to get the pictures directly into my message, but if you're willing to follow these links you can see how my K5 looks with a freshly removed top!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1598742&a=12182436&p=44274419

...and now an 'artsy' shot with a reflection in the pool.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1598742&a=12182436&p=44272693

..and my lovely bride, very anxious to drive it. If I'm not careful, I may never get to drive it again! ;^)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1598742&a=12182436&p=44282545>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1598742&a=12182436&p=44282545</A>

Hope you enjoyed the shots....

-Greg72

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Re: Pictures of my \'72 K5 - Top Removed!!

Thats one sweet k5 ya got!

- SlyDog [​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Killer Diller Dude!!
    Ain't it great to be topless?? [​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. JBOY

JBOY Registered Member

RIGHT ON!!! i'm catchin the fever! can't wait to get that top off....daylight savings time is just around the corner too.

congrats, that's a sweet truck!

JBOY

5. 72CSTBlazer

72CSTBlazer Registered Member

Look's like you got it all.

6. Greg72

I'm not sure that I have it ALL....

..... i could use some paint. [​IMG]

The primer is fine for now, but it's not a permanent solution.

-Greg72

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Nice !!
    Just like the 72 right outside the door, only that yours is missing all the big rust holes !
    Topless rules :)

I want to know aobut the wheels, how when did GM use aluminum wheels that accept the stock rally caps ?
    What are those wheels called ?

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", Olive green and primer, rusted out, rice smasher!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by R72K5 on 03/20/01 11:13 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. Greg72

The wheels are Alcoa (or maybe an imposter?) maybe 15 x 8s? Tires are 35x12.50 which most people hang on 8" wide wheels. They are aluminum, and may have clear coat. Right now they're kinda dull looking so maybe they need a good polish? I was thinking about selling these wheels and tires when I go to the new axles and stuff. The Dana 60s are all 8-bolt unless you want to pay the big bucks to have the old bolt pattern retained....so I was thinking of just moving to an 8-bolt wheel (maybe 16.5"?) when that time comes.

As far as the caps...I don't know if something tricky was done. The only caps I know of slip-in from the back of the wheel before you bolt it on, and are kinda just held there once everything is bolted up. I didn't realize this was not always the case, or that there are situations where that wouldn't work.

-Greg72

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Nice truck, looks ready for paint. Mine is the same color right now [​IMG]. Is that a stock rollbar with a front hoop added? Does it mount to the frame or just to the floor?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

10. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

How many inches of lift do you have, suspension and/or body??

Nice K5

[​IMG]

11. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Very cool, Greg’72! Great job. Much nicer than what I had pictured from your earlier posts. How does all of that add up… 4” springs + body lift + 35’s? Looks good.

BTW, to embed pictures in your posts, you are going to need a direct url to the images (i.e., http://webaddress/filename.ext).

Also by the way, don’t forget resto tip #1… I think you’re gonna need it!

12. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

i figured it out!!!!

[​IMG]

13. Greg72

To answer a few of the questions at once:

Roll Bar - The cage is all welded to itself, but only bolts to the floor of the truck, not the suspension. The roll bar appears to have been a 4 point style, where the rear-most legs bolt behind the rear fenderwells, not on top of the fenderwell bulge (as I've seen in some cases). The front section is welded to the 4-point one, and bolts to the front floor only (not to the frame) The padding that was on the cage was too bulky and blocked the window cranks and glove box door. Since removing the pads, everything can be operated as normal, and the glovebox opens now. I am much happier with the cage now, than I was a week ago for that reason. Believe it or not, most of the bolts are missing so it currently rattles around a bit.....previous owner probably just slapped some things together to prepare it for the sale. If you have factory A/C the front of the cage will never work because of the extra vents you'll need to work around.

Lift - The rig has a 2" body lift and a 4" suspension lift. The suspension lift I believe is a Tuff-Country....pretty stiff. I think that ROUGH Country is the soft one (maybe I have the manufacturers reversed?) The body lift bothers me, I think I'd rather have an "all-spring" lift.....either go down to 4" of total lift with the 35's, or get a 6" spring lift and some larger meats. Personally, I just don't like all that 'daylight' between the fenders and the tires...or the gaps I can see between the frame and body. Once I remove the body lift...I have to deal with moving the engine forward to clear the firewall, and probably some other hassles too. The big-block looks REALLY cool in there, but the distributor and valve covers hit everything it you're not careful.

Rule #1- RestoRod...that must be the one where you tell the wife it's HER truck? [​IMG] HAHAHAHAHA I hear ya on that one. I thought big K5's were a "guy thing" but I can't believe how many women just go nuts over these big trucks......that's a BIG hint for you single guys on the list!!

-Greg72
    '72 CST
    w/Big Bad 427

ps. I dropped my car off at home during lunch so that I could drive back in the topless K5 instead....am I hooked on this Blazer thing or what?!??!

14. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

That looks awesome! I can't wait to get our 72 home and get it rolling again.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com>http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com</A>" Carpe Diem"

15. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Greg, that is one SW-EEEEET Blazer. Oh, BTW - I like your co-pilot/alarm system. Every Blazer needs one (or more).

Looks like you have a Smittybilt roll bar in there with their weld-in cage kit...

I'm gonna try a pic:

[​IMG]

16. Greg72

Mr Chin,

Yes, SMITTYBILT.....that's the name. I kept thinking K-BAR, but I knew that wasn't right.

Grind down a few ugly welds, a little prep work and a nice powdercoated finish would really make it sweet. I think my little niece and nephew will just see my new K5 as a big 'jungle gym' that you can drive around in! [​IMG]