Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pictures of my new camper project!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by therobzilla, Jun 20, 2005.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Here are a few pictures of the new "Camper Project". I scored the camper off the internet in Hisperia, CA for $100.00.

Marv and myself did the calculations to make sure that I am not screwing with the tounge weight, and to make sure nothing majorly changes on the weight distribution on the trailer.

Believe it or not, it all works out with the math. I pulled the blazer up on it and some small adjustment on the ramps, and things should work out just fine.

Camper has hot water, shower, toilet, heater, oven and will have AC. Woooo Hoooo.

Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yee Haw!.....

Have you checked inside that thing to see if "Mork" is still in there.... :haha:

Marv

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

That right there is the SHIZNITTY! I have been thinking about something like that for a while now. Glad someone finally did it. :D What size/type of trailer is that? Looks just perfect for a fullsize and a camper. :D

4. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

now aint that fancy, :thumb:

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks cool, but wouldn't it have been easier to run the camper in the box of the truck and use a regular tandem axle trailer? :crazy:

Rene

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Damn, you guys came all the way out here and didnt say hi. :mad:

Looks good though, you were about 40 minutes from the hammers too, well, or you may have driven past them on the way here. :cool1:

7. therobzilla

Rene,

The only problem with using the bed of the truck is that every time you want to camp/wheel you have to load up the camper, and such, I have found that this is a real pain, as my tow rig is my daily driver and I usually have the cowboy camper on the back of the tow rig.

Besides I rarely wheel without camping, it's all self contained, when I'm done I drop the gooseneck and be done with the whole setup.

That was my thought on the setup, and once you have towed with a gooseneck, you will never go back to a bumper tow setup.

That's where my thinking was.

Rob :D ;)

8. therobzilla

Jason,

I was out there on business the week I picked up the camper, I have a bunch of jobs ongoing in the SOCAL and NORCAL markets. I did drive right thru the Johnson Valley area, dreaming of a trip to the trail.

Funny thing, I just got a job in Apple Valley, CA. So I will be out there in the next few months, we will have to get together and have lunch or dinner.

Rob

9. therobzilla

Aaron,

The trailer is a standard gooseneck, axle rating I was told was 8K per axle. The trailer is rated at 24k.

The total deck length is 20' and 5' of dovetail. The new camper lenght is 11' leaving the blazer having to ride on the gooseneck. Since it has 3 axles the blazer does ride just right on the trailer. The additional weight of the camper offsets the shifting of the weight of the blazer.

If it was a perfect world, I would have liked to have a 25' flatdeck with 5' of dovetail, that would be the perfect setup, but I own the trailer that I have and I don't want to go thru the headache of selling and finding another trailer.

Overall the camper on the gooseneck setup in my opinion is the only way to go if you tow rig is your daily driver. Drop the gooseneck and be done with it.

Rob

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Yeah we could do that, maybe if your free we could cruise out to the hammers so you could drool over the trails and talk the az gang into coming out here.

BTW, what do you do? I work at the Chevy Dealer in Victorville.

11. therobzilla

Jason,

I'm the Regional Manager for a company call US Door & Building Components. Basically we make and install all the components for a self storage building. The interior non structural components of the building. We finished a building in Victorville about 3 months ago, the one right along the interstate.

I spend quite a bit of time in that market. Including the LA markets.

I would love to hit the trail at the end of a day and check out what it looks like. Marv and our group are dying to get out and hit thoes trails, just need to talk us into it.

Rob

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, I am green with envy. Nice setup Rob! :waytogo:

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That system is also nice for being able to drop the trailer and trail rig and run to town for parts or dinner in the tow rig. When you get to somewhere that you have to drive the trail rig on the street to get to trails you have to have some semblance of street legality because you don't want to pack up camp to load the toy on the trailer to haul to the trail. But Rob has that kinda covered.

We've found there is no perfect setup but this one covers lots of bases. You do need a really burly tow rig, which rob also has covered. I have friends that did this but were running bigger trailers, heavier campers and heavier 'wheelers and they ended up buying small tractors to tow them. Funny thing is, the one guy sold his "burly" dodge cummins truck and put about half as much money into an older freightliner to do the same job a whole lot better. A freightliner makes a lousy DD though...

14. therobzilla

Stephen is correct, one of the main reasons I decided on the Gooseneck setup is the ability to drop the trailer at the campsite, and use the tow rig to get around, a good bit of the time, I have wife and family along for the trip, and my wife will only tollerate 2 days of wheeling on a 4 or 5 day trip, she hates to go slow on the trail. So this allows her to tool around town with the dually and have fun, without being stuck at base camp. The whole having to drive a street legal rig to the trail head is something that has to be dealt with also. Mine is still somewhat street legal, but pushes the limits. I'm ok with the risk at this point.

For me, this was the only solution, I just can't afford to have a tow rig, and a seperate daily driver. The trailer takes some Snot to pull it around, the Dually does that. I wanted to be able to drop the blazer and park the trailer/camper until the next trip, and when I need it again, add water, food, and misc. and hook up load the blazer and be done with it. Much easier considering I have to store the trailer/camper off site from my house. My HOA has a fit when I pull the beast up in the street to load up for a trip. It's not HOA friendly.

Rob

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

HOA's SUCK!! but i think you and i have talked about this before....

it looks great. im going to start working on my "Box" as you may remember...
    ill put up a picture of it here so others can be refreshed.

the thing about me is i have no kids and the GF likes my redneck thinking on this thing. its primary job is a shop. then once im done with it, after im all healed up, it will be living area for a coupel days at most. Sarah and i are kinda rugged and dont mind a hot shower all the time. camp showers will work, so will one of those sun showers.

i just have to mod the box for aerodynamics and a bed inside it. maybe a small fridge.
    ill get inside pics next time im up at the storage area.
    Grant
    [​IMG]

16. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

na nu.... na nu! :haha:

Marv