Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pictures of ORD Steering Box Brace Installed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Dec 14, 2000.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Guys, we have all read about how great these box braces are.........well, did mine yesterday in about 45 minutes. Pictures on my site below, just click on the link. These might help those of you who have not done this yet to see exactly what this brace is, where it goes, and what it looks like installed.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

2. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

whats that cost?

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

3. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

What are you using for taking pictures? Digital camera or camera and scanner? Pictures are excellent.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Cost is $95.

The ORD steering box pics were done using an Olympus D-320 camera set to "standard quality" - think it is 800x600, has a mode for 1024x968 (think that is the correct number) but the pics then are too large to load on the website or open quickly. A lot of the interior pics and other ones are scanned - using an HP Office Jet R80 all in one printer/fax/copier/scanner.

Thanks for the comments.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

how much did this run? i would like to do that to my truck

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

oops you posted the answere while i was typing my question lol

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

7. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

BlazzinOR, thanks for the pics!! Will help a lot when I install one this spring once the weather warms up. Heard real good things about this product and look forward to getting one. - Jay

8. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Will this rig work on my 1990? On mine there are lots of steel lines in that area that I havent even begun to figure out what they are for.

9. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Frank,

Nice pics ... do you take your truck out on the road? Always looks so clean.

Did mine a couple of weeks ago, an 88 that is loaded. Not as much room to work with, but essentially the same set-up.

Don't be alarmed by the tranny cooling lines if you have them ... Steve at ORD said he's had people send them back b/c they wouldn't fit. Ain't so easy, but it'll fit.

A little hint is tightened the frame ( single ) bolt under the radiator and the topsteering box bolt. Then take a BF cresent wrench and attach it to the bottom of the brace (straight up and down) so you can crank on the brace to line up the third bolt if you need to. Piece of cake!

And even though it is stated very clearly many times WATCH the brake lines ... WATCH THE BRAKE LINES! Pinched one trying to do this without a drop light.

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Those are very nice pics. Do you own a car-wash or a pressure washer? How do you guys manage to have such clean trucks?

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. azjimmy

azjimmy Registered Member

Thanks for the pics, I am planning that same mod for mine! Pat

<font color=red>Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!</font color=red>[​IMG]
    '76 Jimmy 6" w/35's

12. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

nice job.....nice site....

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That is one clean K5!!!!

What is that engine sitting back in the corner? Looks like somehting with factory FI!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahh, now I see why it won't work on a first Gen K5!
    My 72 does NOT have that flat plate crossmember in the front!
    Do any of you first geners have a crossmember up front like that???
    I have a piece of square stock as a crossmember in the front of mine, is that stock or a mod a previous owner put up there????
    I like the idea of bracing the frame like that may have too make my own now that I'm getting into welding and fabraction[​IMG] BEER more Beer[​IMG] ya that will work[​IMG].....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

shum1 - ORD has two different part numbers, one (like mine) for the 73-80 trucks, and one for the 81-91 trucks. When you order tell him the year (Stephen Watson) and he will get you the right one.

backlash - actually the truck hasn't been off road much in the past two years - here's why - motor developed a rod knock in mid'99, didn't put but maybe 100 miles on the rig since then until my motor rebuild was done in October. Now that the motor is rebuilt, I have been breaking it in and doing other projects (like the brace) that NEEDED to be done big time. Like fixing a damn rear top shock mount bolt that came loose, got rusted/welded shut, and took 2 hours to get out! Anyway, I am hooked up with a great group of folks here in Oregon, the Oregon Bush Hackers, and plan to participate in runs soon.

Blazer79 - just got done with a motor rebuild, spent a lot of time de-crudding the truck.........plus I hate crud so it wasn't that bad to begin with.

Emmettology - man, you have good eyes.......that is a 502 FI motor on the stand behind mine in that picture......it is one my motor builder is "playing with" to see what he can get out of it! He is a real genius about FI and computer improvements on this stuff.

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I thought that looked like a BB, but I didn't want to say so and look stupid if it wasn't.
    I saw the FI and recognized it from looking at my friends 454...

Man, that would be a nice engine to have, a FI502!! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com