Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picturs of 14 blt installed in Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pomai, Mar 1, 2005.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anybody have rear pictures of there 14 blt installed in there 81-91 Blazer?
    I but in my 14 blt for mock up with rims and it looks pretty wide. Rims are
    16.5 x 9 3/4 with a 5" back space. Rear end came from a 75 1 ton truck. WMS to WMS is 67".I took some pictures but I don't know how to put them on here. Thanks Ed

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Here's mine (I have 1.5" 8-6 lug adapters, so my wheels are pushed out a total of 3 inches...lines up with front perfectly, but looks a little funny with those huge 1 ton brakes.
    [​IMG]

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Hmm, i'm gonna be putting in my 14bltff in the next day or so, and was looking at rims because of the 8 lug vs. the 6lug i have now..i never thought of Adapters..but i have always been told never to do this, that they wern't safe..whats your opinion? and if i go that route, where can i get some? and how much are they? i assume that they are cheaper than buying two rims or you wouldn't have used them...Also on anither note, i have thought about getting different offsets rims at one time to align the front and rear tires, like you say yours are now, but have been told by 2 tire shops that i shouldn't do it because it affects the "tracking" and "handeling" of the truck..they told me, that if it was better to run them linned up, they would have done so when they made the truck...i'm sure some of this is just smoke up my butt because they didn't want to sell me spacers or take the time to figure out offsets...what do you think?

5. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How wide are your rims and what are the back spaceing on them? What size tires?
    I was wondering how the tires fit under the fenderwell?

By the way this is the correct spelling for the island of Kaua'i, :cool1: You'll love it there, beautiful island, but all of Hawai'i is. Thanks Ed

6. B_to_C

As far as adapters not being safe... I wouldn't run them if they weren't safe. Are there unsafe adapters out there? yes, I'm sure there are. I purchased my adapters from TONYP on this site. I believe I got his second to last set, as he was just doing it on the side, and he didn't have the time for it anymore. Anyways, his are made of aircraft grade aluminum (Strong). And when I installed them I used ALOT of loctite and ALOT of torque. They have been on there for about 9 months now with over 20,000 miles...no problems.

The reason I went with the adapters...

I had just picked up my 14 bolt (was in the cargo area of my blazer) and I was merging onto the highway on the trip home from picking it up, and BOOM, my 10 bolt blew up. I had it towed to a local 4x4 shop, and I needed it back on the road ASAP as I was scheduled to drive across the country that same week. So my options were:

1) Buy some 8 lug rims for the rear, and mount the tires on and go. This is the cheapest method to get on the road quick but definitely not the way to go. You would have to carry two spare tires, and to rotate tires you would have to dismount / mount them on the diffrent rims...not worth the hassle.

2) Do an 8-lug conversion. This is a good choice, because you get a slightly beefier front axle, and you only have to carry one spare. But to do this swap economically you should gather parts over time when you find a good deal on them. I didn't have any time, so I would of had to either buy crappy junk yard wheels (I had no transoprtation at the time mind you) or buy 4 brand new 8 lug wheels, and brand new 8 lug stuff for the fron axle - and that was an expensive proposition.

3) Buy 8-6 lug adapters. I could use my existing wheels, did not have to touch the front axle, and could be done quickly. Obviously this is the route I went...And I am very happy with the results.

As far as "The factory must of had a reason to do that"...Well they probably did, everyone has a theory, but from what I've read the general consensus is that it was done for better turning radius and possibly to track better (both of these insignificant when you're talking about lifted trucks like ours).

Hope that helped :)

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

sure did, thanks alot..haveing to carry two spares never crossed my mind..of course i've never had a flat, but with my luck i would if i didn't have the right spare...as for turning radius, my truck has a sweet one, i can flip a u-turn right in the middle of the street..just go up on the sidewalk, through some guys yard and back on the street...lol:D

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm sure this has been said, but the rear is actually narrower than the front. I know this picture looks sort of funny, but I was running over a car in the picture but I had to cut most of it out due to the size. My ff14 was originally under a 3/4 ton so the spring perches lined right up. All I had to do was install gears, Detroit, disc brakes, shock mounts, etc.

rticar (2).jpg

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's the best shot I've got:

[​IMG]

It's a '72K5 with a 14BFF running 1.5" wheel spacers (to correct track width) and the wheels are 16.5"x9.75 with 3.75" of B.S.

The tires DO stick out quite a ways, but there's not much I could do about it short of running a wheel with a LOT of backspacing. I have a set of Hummer 8-bolt wheels coming soon, so I'm tempted to test fit them just to see how they look..... :cool1:

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

mine were 16.5"x9.75 by right near 4 or so if i remember, they were re centered hummer rims i bought from someone here on ck5

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

12. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Was there an issue with the ff hubs fitting through the 6 lug wheels? Would you use these on a tow vehicle? I want to put a 14bff under my 'burb, but I want to keep my 6 lug wheels. I mainly use it for towing a 16' trailer with atvs on it.

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ya they dont fit. . you have to get the hubs machined down a bit i believe.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

personally i wouldnt tow with spacers/adapters, but i would put them on a trail rig .

15. B_to_C

Yes you do have to have the hubs machined down a bit. And no I would not tow heavy loads with them. But I have no quams towing my double jet ski trailer, but that's barely over 1,000 pounds...