Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pilot Bearing --- Arggghhh!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to remove the pilot bearing in an LT1, and the stupid thing won't come loose.

I already broke one removal tool, and the second one doesn't seem to be doing the job.

Any helpfull advice for me?
    Thanks,

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

2. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Where is the pilot bearing?

3. Stoopalini

It's the bearing that goes in the end of the crank. The shaft on the transmission slides into it.

Some use a bushing, some use a bearing.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

On the last one I had that stuck, I was able to actually spin it out using a ½" split point Craftsman drill bit - the bushing got stuck on the bit and pulled out with the drill.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>you need to find yourself a nice brass drift or some kind of punch that is just barely able to fit into the inside part of the pilot bearing. it has got to be the same diameter for it's entire length,,I.E.,,not a point on one end. then,,pack as much grease that you can get into the center hole of the bearing,,pack it full ! then put yur drift in and whack the hell outta it,,IT WILL MOVE ! but you will need to keep putting grease in and hitting and grease,,ETC. what yur doing is just making a simple elbow grease press that werk's like a charm. </font color=purple>

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

6. Stoopalini

I tried that grease trick, but it seems the grease keeps coming back out through the needles in the bearing. I think that would probably work with a bushing, but doesn't seem to be too effective with a bearing ........ unless I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm about to head out there and finish the job up. Doing a clutch on a '97 SS ........ wish me luck

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

7. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=green>ok then,,beat the hell outta it with a chisel till it all fall's apart ? i dunno ?[​IMG] didn't know they started putting in actual bearing's in them like that,,that sux. the old bushing's came out so nice like that,,maybe if you get some J.B. quick,,you can fill in the outer part of the bearing so no grease can escape,,the try the drift/hammer trick again

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>