Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pilot Bearing Question on 465 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Aug 5, 2006.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Okay, so I'm swapping in an SM465 in place of my old POS 700r. As I'm doing it I have a pretty good idea of what to do, but I get to installing the pilot bearing, and there are two in the install kit, the actual bearing style one and the sleeve style one. I was a little curious as to which one to use, so I posted on Pirate and waited a while. Nothing. So I go back to work and install the sleeve one, since that is the only kind that I've seen installed and I figured with fewer moving parts (none) it would probably last longer. So I use the grease that came with the kit (looked like white lithium grease) to grease it up pretty good (kinda like this article indicates: http://coloradok5.com/auto2manual.shtml). However, after I bolt up the rest of the clutch assembly and the bellhousing, and go back to update my post on Pirate and some guy has said that it is fine to use the sleeve style one, but to NOT grease it up. Uh-oh. He said that it would heat up and would melt and end up binding the engine output dealy (don't know what it is called) to the pilot bearing shaft. My question is has anybody ever heard of this happening before. If so please tell me now so I can fix it before something goes horribley wrong. Thanks.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Never heard that. Also never put one in with grease. I always grease the tranny input shaft and have never had a problem so.......

3. bigredblzr

Great. Anybody else?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've always used grease. Done about 25 clutch changes on various vehicles, never been a problem.
    The part about heating up just doesn't make sense. The grease can't cause more heat, only less. Perhaps he was thinking of too much grease, I've heard where people pack the cavity behind the bearing so much it pushes the bearing out when you slide the shaft in, just like if you were trying to remove the bearing with the hydraulic method.
    Just grease up the shaft and slide it in, or grease the bearing, shouldn't really matter.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I call BS on that one. It's two metal parts sliding past each other, grease will reduce the friction and wear, the same that it does in any other application. You did good by greasing it in my book. Don't worry about what one guy says, plenty of people grease them without problems. I would actually think that not greasing it would cause extra heat, marring of the surface, and premature wear.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bronze bushing..

The bronze bushings used for pilot bushings are "oillite" sintered bronze,that have thousands of tiny holes that trap oil--the bushings are dipped in oil while still hot,and the pores hold the oil,making a long lasting 'lifetime lubed"bushing without any additional oil...but a dab of grease wont hurt--as long as you dont use too much,it'll get on the clutch disc eventually if you use too much..

I would not use a needle bearing style pilot bearing in a truck that sees dust ,mud,and off road use...I've seen them seize up in street use,and wipe out the mainshaft of the tranny,and score up the crank..:crazy:

7. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

greasing the splines on the input shaft. that'll just become a dirt magnet wearing out the splines that much faster. and gumming up the ability for the disks to slide, hanging up the clutch eventually draggin it.

grease is not neccissary or even recommended on tranny input shaft splines. If you feel you have to put something on it, use a light clean oil, then wipe it off. the film will remain.

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, Luk supplies spline grease with their pro gold kits. Sounds like a bit of a recommendation. :dunno:

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Southern Alberta Institute of Technology instructs HD mechanics not to use grease on input splines, part of the curriculum, thats what they taught me, thats what I practice.

Luk has never taught me anything so I can't compare.

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm just wondering what kind of info Luk has to support their spline grease pushing. It's not really a place where I'd think you'd need it, and didn't use what they gave me. Just tossed that stuff and went on my way.

11. bigredblzr

Thanks for all your input guys! I greased it about as well as I could after inserting the bearing, but that said, I really wasn't able to get much in. I'm glad that I went with the sleeve bearing too. Sounds like it'll be a better choice in the long run. Thanks again.