Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pilot bearing VS. Pilot bushing...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Apr 8, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I know what the physical differences are but, which one came on k5's from the factory? Does one really hold an advantage over the other? Which one will likely last the longest? I need to get one fro my 700r4 to 465 conversion, but I can't decide which one to get...

Thanks in advance...

Chris

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

i would run the bushing in a wheeling truck. The bearing tends to get dirt in it easily if you burry your truck in the mud often.
    Brian
    82 burb 38.5's, 10/14 bolts, SM465/NP205

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would agree with burbboy, the pilot bushing is an oil impregnated bushing that usually last a very very long time. The bearing on the other hand can get dirt and debri in it and cause it to give you troubles in a hurry.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Your k5 probably had a bushing factory installed. I think that manual tranny diesel trucks had a factory bearing. If you have a dust cover and don't wheel primarily in the mud, you can go either way...the bearing leading the way on the street. I would put a bushing back in. You probaly never had any problems out of it and probaly never will. I have a friend who ran for over a year with neither one...although I don't recommend doing that.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No pilot bushing means no front bearing in tranny in short order, but an SM 465 is pretty tough.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

A pilot bearing is not the way to go in my opinion. It is an unlubable (<---is that a word?) bearing. One of the biggest problems with the Dodge Pickups with the so called tranny failures they were "notorious" for is they had a pilot bearing, the bearing would wear out and come apart, the main shaft on the tranny would vibrate and destroy the tranny guts and in some cases the case itself. The smart fix some dealers would do is replace the bearing with a bushing and no more troubles......

John

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

This is a great thread! I am just about to install the 465/205 combo behind the 454... Does anyone happen to know the GM PN for the bushing for my application? My dealers are not usually to helpful with stuff like that...

Thanks!

-Dan

8. fortcollinsram

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Yikes... the more and more I look at this stuff... I realize that the stock pressure plate just isn't going to hack it with my beefed up 454, is it? The Centerforce dual friction clutch kit costs $275 from Jegs!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Not that the price is bad, just that my wife is going to kill me when I keep asking for more parts to get the truck out on the street again!

Anyone want me to put their name in my will to recieve the truck if she kills me? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I think I need to start another thread...

10. fortcollinsram

Ya, I opted for the CenterForce DF...And I only have a 350...But I think it is needed do to the way I drive and the amount you slip a clutch when wheelin'...I will be doing a write up on the conversion with Pics soon...I will be goin ghome this weekend to pull my 700r4 and oil pan and replace the rear main seal...Once I get the flywheels in, I will bolt it up and start on the clutch pedal assembly...I still need to paint my bellhousing too..lots of little stuff to do...

Chris

11. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Yep, I'm the genious that ran my engine w/out a pilot bushing/bearing. I know, I know, it was stupid. But... I didn't know any better at the time. I have a 465 and it didn't appear to damage anything. In my latest motor swap, I installed a pilot bushing. I can tell a difference when shifting the tranny now that I have one. It shifts "tighter."

Will