Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pilot bearing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trailblazer1980, Jun 1, 2001.

1. trailblazer1980

trailblazer1980 Registered Member

help i'm putting a sm465 in my blazer along with a twin stick 205 i'm having a problem getting the pilot bearing out does any one have any ideas on how to get it out the bearing is all smashed up so i can't use it again.

thanks for any help you guys can give me

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

A slide hammer works. I used one that removes axle bearings. However, only 1 finger (lip) would fit in there. I also drilled (yikes, I know) with a large drill bit a little to weaken the surrrounding metal. Also make sure that you soak it with penetrating oil.
    It took me an hour with a silde hammer to get it out. I'm a big guy and I gave it eveything I had to get it out.

Hope it helps,
    John

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

3. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Find some kind of dowel or cylindrical rod that is the same diameter as the hole in the pilot bearing. Next, pack grease into the pilot bearing hole, then insert the dowel and hammer it in. The grease will hydrolic the bearing out from behind. Hope that helps.

James

79jimmy@home.com

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

that brings back memories. make sure it makes a tight seal or you'll end up with grease all over your face...LOL

ARQ.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yeah, it's a good idea to wrap a rag around it before you go smacking the rod with the BFH. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

if it is a BUSHING the grease hydraulicing it out will work, a roller bearing wont do it. SNAP-ON makes a special puller attachment for a slide hammer for that exact dilemma. the snap guy didnt have one on his truck when i needed it so we had to improvise and break a few of the wrong ones.

7. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i use a rod with a bent end on it and it has another thing welded to it that i hit with a BFH. that worked for me.

Going nowhere everybody is a Moto Psycho
    Got my wheels in motion and i got a path to beat

8. K10

K10 Registered Member

If it is a bushing, you can hit it with a air hammer and it will shatter it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://nick.rockcrawler.com>http://nick.rockcrawler.com</A>

9. trailblazer1980

well i tried to use a bar that is the same size as the shaft to hydrolicaly force the bushing out and it didn't work i don't have a air hammer so that won't work any other suggestion thanx

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

try the "dent puller" method. screw in a BF screw in there and yank it out. I've never tried it but sure it will work.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

HELLO HERE IS YOUR SOLUTION!!!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/PRO.asp?Group_ID=1239&Group_name=Small/Pilot/Ball+Bearing+Pullers&Cat_ID=651705&Cat_NAME=Pullers&Sub_Cat_ID=652346&Sub_Cat_NAME=Special+Purpose&store=snapon-store>snap on tools</A>

12. trailblazer1980

thanx for the help guys i ended up drilling 3 small holes in to it and used half a puller and it came right out thanx again

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I had a problem pulling the bushing from my 'vette. Found a big old tap that fit inside the bushing. Cut threads through the bushing, then used the correct size bolt and cranked it 'til the bushing backed out. Worked slick!

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!