Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pilot bushing question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Sep 2, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

The engine I just pulled out of my blazer had a auto behind it. The engine I am putting in, had a four speed behind it so it has the pilot bushing in the back of the crank.
    If I take that out I'll be good to go right?
    How does it come out? special puller...or?

I was gonna replace the rear main seal while it was out, but its not leaking at all....probably one of those things..'if its not broken, dont fix it'?

Its from an '89 so it does NOT have the one piece rear main, otherwise I'd just swap it out real quick.

Thanks!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have an auto in your blazer just leave the pilot bushing in it.

If yours is a 4 speed, they do make pullers, or you can fill the cavity with grease and drive a drift in there that is slightly smaller than the input shaft and it will come out.

If yours is a 4 speed, use a bushing, not a bearing.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can take it out if oyu want to, but no need if its going infront of an auto. the last one i took out was shot so i had to take a chisel to it and break it apart and get it out. works with good ones also.

and '89 will have a 1 peice seal, 86 and up.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

so I can just leave the pilot bushing in the back of the crank? Its not gonna hurt anything?

Hmmmmit IS a one piece seal? when i went to the parts store yesterday and asked if they had the rear main seal, he brought out a felpro package with two 'halves' in it. i said its not one piece? he said that is what the show listed /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I noticed on the back of the block around the crank there is a 'cover' that is bolted around the crank...is the rear main right behind that?

And if its not leaking now, should I even bother with it?

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You can leave it without any worries. The auto doesn't have anything anywhere in that vicinity. It'll just sit there all by its lonesome.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The rear main is inside that cover, you can pry it out of there with a screwdriver.

I'd replace it.

And no, leaving the pilotbushing in there won't hurt anything.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

okay, guess I'll leave it in there then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

On the rear main, if its a one piece, what are the other two 'half' pieces he brought out and said was the rear main?

They werent big enough for the oil pan ends...

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijacking to ask why ? My project will be running a SM465 and I need to know . I was told when I got it to get a bearing when I get a motor . How come a bushing /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijacking to ask why ? My project will be running a SM465 and I need to know . I was told when I got it to get a bearing when I get a motor . How come a bushing /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering too. I've got a bearing. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue"> FAWKIN HIGHJACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </font>

Now, for my question...I have an auto, but I am curious...if using a 4spd, why use a bushing instead of a bearing? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a bushing because it has no moving parts to fail. If that bearing fails not only will it destroy the front bearing in the transmission by the time you swap it out, but if it locks up hard enough it's going to chew up the input shaft too.

A bushing is problem free, simply a piece of brass that is softer than the input shaft and has no moving parts to fail.

I have never used a pilot bearing and I can't understand why anyone would. Maybe there is a useful purpose for it, but I have ALWAYS used a bushing and that what I have always sold my customers.

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That makes sense to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

wow! I made sure to put a bearing in myne (and I have a 465) somebody told me the bearing was the way to go!

in case anyone cares, I have used the 'grease and drift' method mentioned above.
    I used a piece of dowl, and added enough electric tape for a nice tight fit, and then packed in as much grease as it would take and.....wham (you'll probably have to add grease a couple of times). I cant believe how easy it was.
    ahhhh.... the power of hydraulics.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can understand the reasons for running the one or the other.

I would say if you routinely bury your truck in mud, pilot bushing would be the way to go. Unless I'm mistaken, all the new stuff is bearinged though...anyone?

Tim made the point about the bearing tearing up the input shaft, but if the bushing wears out, wouldn't the input shaft start "walking" causing problems with gear mesh, front tranny bearing load, etc.?

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes it would, the t5 destroyed in my s10, i pulled the tranny and the bushing was hoged out. the input gears in the tranny were broke.

ive always used a bushing and always will, the only time the bushing is worked is when you have the cluch released. any other time its doing nothing other that kepping it in place.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Just remember to wear safety glasses or a face sheild when using this method--I showed a friend at a gas station that trick once--he had an old mainshaft for a clutch alignment tool,he asked about a puller to remove the bushing,how much would it cost--I said "you have one already,right there on your workbench"--I took the mainshaft and loaded the bushing with grease,took aim,and gave it a whack with the hammer--grease shot out like it was fired from a gun,and we both looked like spotted owls, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifsome of it went in our eyes too--he said"nice work man--now how much are those pullers again?? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif--the bushing did come out though! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif