Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pilot Bushing Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hoover87, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Hoover87

Hoover87 Registered Member

Well I after looking at opinions as to which is better, a bushing or bearing, I've decided to default to using the bushing.

Now, with the pilot bushing, is there any pre-installation tips or tricks like letting it soak in oil over night?.....or is it just a stick it in and go deal?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I would guess that you are talking about the bushing that goes into the crank to align the input shaft on a manual transmission? If so, You should be able to just tape it in with a hammer. Use a socket to line it up (between the hammer and the bushing).

3. Hoover87

Hoover87 Registered Member

Yep, that is the bushing I am talking about. Do I need to lube at all before everything goes together, or just install it as is and be done with it?

Thanks

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

How deep is this bushing supposed to install? I am in the process of converting to a manual tranny and I used an old 465 tranny input shft to line it up and tap it in and I was only able to get it about 2/3 of the way in when I tapped the input shaft with a rubber mallet...Does it have to install so it is flush with the face of the hole it installs in?

Chris

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I did this once on a furd. Make sure the bearing/bushing isnt in a bind. I got it a little sideways and it wouldnt budge. The one I installed went flush. Also, I would use a socket that is the same size as the outer race, you could screw it up by beating on the inner race.

Try to PM KRAZIE87K5, he just finished this swap and could probably give you a good idea of what to do.

6. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Mine sits flush after it was tapped in place.