Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pilot bushing..???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoSmog73, Apr 10, 2004.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I got the 465 ready to go in but the bronze bushing ??? Does that get driving in the end of the crank for the shaft on the 465 I started to drive it in there but it is WAY tight and wanted to double check first before I went any farther...Thank you /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

2. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

yep. thats where i put mine... but if i remember correctly it wasnt that tight, make sure you dont have it in there on an angle...

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dont put the bronze one in, get a piloit BEARING, it has some needle bearings in it, much better.

4. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use the BEARING. Mud/dirt/water doesnt get aalong with it. Atleast the bushing will wear a little and not toally sh!t out.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't use the BEARING. Mud/dirt/water doesnt get aalong with it. Atleast the bushing will wear a little and not toally sh!t out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That stuff shouldnt get in there, put a cover on the bottom.

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

K5MONSTERCHEV,
    why is a bearing with needle bearings better than a bushing?

7. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

covers are NOT water/mud tight. If you actually wheel it in the deep stuff it WILL find a way in.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think a pilot bearing is a very bad idea and I have never ran one, nor do I ever intend to.

Bushing is the only way to go IMO. If that bearing fails your input shaft bearing will fail shortly as well. No moving parts in the bushing to fail. Put a finger full of grease in it and you're done.

9. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

I agree with you guys on the pilot needle bearing vs. the bronze pilot bushing. Needle bearings are better for racing applications only.

The bronze bushing you are installing is supposed to have a very, very tight fit, so do not freak. You are putting it in correctly.

Having a bushing installer tool is good, but not absolutely necessary. When you are installing the bushing, without a bushing installer tool, make sure you do not distort or smash the inner hole on the bushing.

One thing you need to remember, the most critical part of a clutch job is the proper alignment of the clutches to the pilot bushing. It can make the difference between cussing and spitting, or having a big smile on your face for a job well done. Make sure you use a line up tool. I like a splined line up tool better than the universal cone types.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I use a spline alignment tool as well. An old input shaft will also work.

Having a 4 speed is great nearly all the time. Don't skimp on a clutch as replacing them is the biggest pain in the ass to owning a manual. Now that I have a hydro clutch, a high quality flywheel and disc, I wouldn't trade my 4 speed for anything.

11. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

I agree! An old input shaft is the best line-up tool to use over any other.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine is just plastic but if I had an old input shaft I'd be using it.

13. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Now that i broke one off i have to make a handle for it and im set /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Also from what i have learned here in school about bushings such as these they arent suposed to be greased. They should be self lubricating. Although i have heard it done both ways with no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif