Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pilot Bushing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Sep 1, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, how do i get the old one out? I'm putting in an SM465 in place of my th350 and they are different sizes, how does on go about gettting the old one off of the crankshaft?

Also, does anyone have a picture of how the clutch pedal bolts up?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If there's one in there, it's very simple (although I don't see how there would be one in there if it was an auto, maybe engine had a straight drive behind it before). All you have to do is dab a little wheel bearing grease in the hole and find you a rod that is just slightly smaller than that of the pilot bushing. Simple hydraulics. Tap the rod into the center of the pilot bushing and the grease will force the bushing out. Easy as that boss.

3. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Not sure about all year but some models that came with an auto did not come with the bracket that lets you bolt up the clutch peddle. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You may need the bracket that fits over the Steering column out of a 4 speed truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

On a particularly stubborn pilot bearing, the grease method didn't work for me. I did happen to have a big ole' tap that I used to thread-out the center of the bushing. Then used the same size bolt which tightened in the crank pulled the bushing out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif