Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pimped the truck out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MR4WD, Jun 28, 2004.

1. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

For my nations birthday. Me and three other guys with 44's set up a "business" to help recover stolen vehicles and stuck 4x4s also.

anyways, here's a pic [​IMG]

I'll post more pics on friday or so after the wheeling and fireworks.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I am thinking about getting some magnetic signs for mine so when I am "relaxing" at the lake I can make a little $$$ from the people in their Saturn's that ignore the 4X4 only signs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Thats what im talking about. We all are going to get jeep recovery vehicle stickers made.

Oh nice Blazer man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

MMMM, big boggers! I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

good lookin rig.

dumb question, what's with the cables under the truck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    good lookin rig.

dumb question, what's with the cables under the truck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

its attached to the winch so when he pulls in, the cables underneath lift up the axles making it easier to get unstuck. Very good idea if you ask me /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

HUH???[​IMG][​IMG] I am a pretty savy guy and I don't get it?

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Nothin' like getting paid for what you enjoy doing anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    its attached to the winch so when he pulls in, the cables underneath lift up the axles making it easier to get unstuck. Very good idea if you ask me /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Really??? Thats new to me...sounds cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

unless he has some magic anti gravity blazer the axles won't life the blazer will come down on the axles...

12. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    unless he has some magic anti gravity blazer the axles won't life the blazer will come down on the axles...

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda what I was thinking too. It just looks like more crap to get caught on debris to me.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

No magic anit-gravity needed. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif It's a matter of engineering and physics. Basically, the way it's set up, which ever end you pull from, that axle is forced up. It won't lift both axles, just the one on the end your pulling from. The good thing is that it reduces the dead weight lateral pull tremendously and it takes much less pulling effort to free yourself when you get stuck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The bad thing is that stuff can and will catch on the cables. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Ive read his explanation before, and it seems to make pretty good sense when he is stuck, but, most of the time it does seem those cables would be getting hung up. How often could a truck like that be stuck anyway? I think it is one cool ride!

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Ok you may need to explain this again. Or see if I’m right….
    Because it sound to me that the springs are going to collapse but at the same time the body pivot point is going to make the body of the vehicle go down, which means you need the pull pivot point needs to be higher than the stuck vehicle for it to work right. If the pulling pivot point is low as or slightly higher than the stuck vehicle. Than wont that stuck vehicle, become an anchor?

16. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

nice rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How often could a truck like that be stuck anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Youd be surprised.... bigger tires = deeper mud, and bigger rocks....

18. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok you may need to explain this again. Or see if I’m right….
    Because it sound to me that the springs are going to collapse but at the same time the body pivot point is going to make the body of the vehicle go down, which means you need the pull pivot point needs to be higher than the stuck vehicle for it to work right. If the pulling pivot point is low as or slightly higher than the stuck vehicle. Than wont that stuck vehicle, become an anchor?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never compounded the winch back to the tow cables yet, but one afternoon I broke the pinion on the Dana 60 front and needed about 300' of cable and a jeep with 33's and an 8274 to pull me out. First, we hooked directly to the pintle hitch and the 8274 skidded the jeep along the ground. Then, we slung the rear bumper of the jeep to a 70' power pole and stalled the 8274 on the bottom layer of the drum. Then, I hooked his winch cable to my recovery cable (which I had to unhook from the pintle which was about a foot under water) and without hesitation the 8274 skidded my truck out of the bog.

Things I noticed during the extraction-

when hooking to the bumper, the truck was pulled downward into the bog.

When hooking to the recovery cable, the rear of the truck popped up and then out.

I go wheeling usually 3 or 4 times a week (since march) and I've yet to hook the cables on anything more than grass and sticks. There's usually more sh!t piled up around the tie rod, hydro steering lines,brakes lines, axles and driveshafts than the winch cables.

It's 5/8" cable, which will probably break at around 40,000 pounds or so. The truck weighs 6000.

The powerline trucks at work have a very similar set up and often weigh in excess of 30,000 pounds tooled up. When a 30,000 pound 6x6 gets buried it's usually a pain to pull out...

I didn't get any pictures of the fireworks and the subsequent wheeling, but it sure was fun. 4' of river water and a bunch of 44" boggered trucks. And a wrecked duramax in an 04 Chev crew cab with 35's and 8" of lift.

Edit: I usually get stuck once once every third time out or so.