Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ping TARussell... questions about a 292ci 6cyl

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jonrpick, Jan 21, 2007.

1. jonrpick

jonrpick 3/4 ton status

TARussell... I'm new to this site and I've been reading of your playing around with a 292 Chevy straight six. I'm seriously considering doing the same and I'd like to discuss this with you as it appears you've taken the same path.

I'm looking to build a TBI'd motor for low-end torque. My RPM requirements are well below 3000rpm. Currently I'm running a stock K5 with 31" tires and 3.73 gears, so my RPMs at 80mph don't exceed 2000.

I understand the general concepts of getting better low-end torque such as, better port velocity, short duration cams to build cylinder pressure, bumping up the compression, etc... but I'd like to see what you did specifically and I'm curious as to how it turned out.

If you'd prefer, I can be reached via email @ jonrpick@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

~jp

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Bump so Tom will see this. ;)

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I used to run a 292 w/3.73 & 31's on a DD..... '66 1/2-ton. :D

It didn't have awesome top end, but it cruised comfortably up to 65mph. (no OD - SM420). I had a 2.5" outlet manifold on it (late 80's P-van) and HEI.

4. jonrpick

jonrpick 3/4 ton status

Thanks Nvrenuf...

U2Slow: Sounds like what I'm looking for. This will not be a DD, but I would like it to be able to function as one when needed. Beyond 90mph, I don't care how fast it'll go (technically, I do around 80mph on the interstate, but I need the extra 10mph to be able to pass ;-) )

I see it mentioned often that the 292 isn't known for fuel economy, but if I can squeeze 20mph on the highway with my current setup, I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks,

~jp

5. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I run a 292 in my yard truck, good dependable low end motor.This one has a header and Clifford intake that was modified for dual carbs but have been blanked off for now.

I know this doesnt help answer any of your questions but 292 chat just the same!

IMG00002.jpg

IMG00001.jpg

IMG00004.jpg

6. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual
    by Leo Santucci is a good book. I had a copy of it, but gave it away after I got rid of my 292. There is also a book out there on doing fuel injection swaps.

also some good info at www.inliners.org

7. jonrpick

jonrpick 3/4 ton status

MEK5: I can't view the pics, as I'm not a paying member yet. Could you email them to me @ jonrpick@yahoo.com? Thanks...

BrianDamage: I've Leo's book right next to me on my desk! There's a lot of good info in there. My only problem with it is that most of the info is geared toward producing HP. As cool as the hybrid head is, I think it'd be impractical for my uses. Although I do wish there was a good solution for adding MPFI and/or a cross-flow head. Sissell Automotive ( http://www.sissellsautomotive.com/ ) does offer a bolt-on non-cross-flow 12-port head for the "sixes" that looks pretty cool. It's very expensive though, and if I ever went that far, I'd probably order it with smaller-than-normal ports to maximize port velocity at low speeds.

What's this fuel-injection book you're talking about??? I'd *really* like to get a copy of that.

I've been to inliners.org...need to subscribe to the "12-port News".

~jp

8. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

the one I'm thinking about is Chevy TPI Fuel Injection Swapper's Guide by John Baechtel

I've never read it....but was going to order it at one time. Now that I looked it up on amazon, some readers gave it bad reviews (that doesn't always matter to me). Just do search in books on amazon for fuel injection there are several more there

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

ttt for ya...I have a '96 Ford F150 with the 300, and its a fantastic motor. Good mpg, good torque, good engine! I am sure the 292 is the same way.

10. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

My first truck had a 250 six cylinder in it. If I had left it in there instead of swapping a 327 in it i'd still be driving it. Six cylinders are great for low end, my old 250 got alot better mileage than dad's 292.

11. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i miss my 250 316xxx started eveytime on the prowl for a 292 or a 302 maybe

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I spoke to Tom last night and told him to check this thread. He only has computer access a couple of times a week so keep watching, I'm sure he'll reply soon. :wink1:

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

jonrpick,

Wow , not many folks are interested in old in-line motors - it's good to see someone else that understands cylinder pressure and low end power.

I don't have anything real special in my motor - just a bunch of parts that work well together. I started with an older 292 so that I could shave the head and deck the block without fear of warping/cracking. I had the rotating assy. balanced and used new pistons for an industrial LPG application ( fork lift ) that keep the compression ratio up where it should be. If I remember correctly the C/R should be real close to 9.8:1 with a thick head gasket.
    The cam grind is a marine application that I found as N.O.S. from GM a few years ago. I went with straight cut timing gears instead of the helical cut gears that are usually offered. The dist. is nothing special , just a H.E.I. unit from the late seventy's. The T.B.I. is a Howell Injection piece that is set up to work with a vacum advance dist..I went with an Offy intake that has very small runners compared to most aftermarket intakes. The exhaust manifold is the larger outlet type that U2SLOW mentioned that came off of a 1972 C-40 dump truck . The flywheel is extremely heavy - it is from a industrial marine BBC 454 and is solid across the back side instead of scalloped like most flywheels. It weighed in at just over 60 lbs. ( I had it blanced to the 292's internal specs).
    Nothing else real special about the motor - just good/quality machine work and prep. I left the head alone and kept the small valves for the bottom end power curve. I would love to tell you how it has turned out but I have changed my motor plan in my off-road Blazer ( I am installing a 6BT in it this spring ) so I am putting the 292 in my daily driver 1985 Blazer with 33" tires and 3.73's . Judging by what I have seen work in the past on other motors I am fairly sure this combo will do what I hope it will - and that is pull hard at 300 RPM.

If Ya' got any more questions just ask - I could wear Ya' out all day long on my 292 build. Sorry it takes me so long to respond - I don't get to play on the web as much as I would like to .

Tom

14. jonrpick

jonrpick 3/4 ton status

TARussell... I am new to this, but I spend as much time reading and researching as possible. To me, it's an extension of the old carpenter's motto of "measure twice, cut once."

It sounds like you went a similar route. I'd planned on prepping a block with a "zero" deck, and pretty much sticking with a stock head and valve combo. I also planned on bumping the compression up a bit, as well as adapting a TBI unit using a 4bbl intake.

Great minds think alike ;-) a few questions for you...

Do you have the numbers on that cam? I'd like to study the profile to get an idea of where this engine will make its power. Are you planning on tuning it on a dyno to get final numbers for torque and usable RPM range? When you say the Offy intake has "small" runners, do you mean short, or a small cross-section (leading to faster moving air at lower RPMs)? There is currently one on eBay that's got fairly short runners.

Does the the manifold still need to be heated via exhaust or a water passage when using TBI?

Last one... did you use a 292 head or the smaller 194 head?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I don't plan on doing this until the end of 2007 at the earliest. Between now and October, I'll be swapping the cam in my 350 to get it running better for a road trip/vacation I have planned at that time. Once that's out of the way, I'll be setting aside money to do the swap (as well as many other mods).

PLEASE let me know how the 292 performs in your DD K5. I'll be ditching the 31's for 33's or 35's soon (probably 35's). It goes without saying that your results will greatly influence the direction I go with my own engine buildup.

Thanks very much,

~jp

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

jonrpick - I got a big ole case of CRS ( can't remember squat ! ) and can not recall the duration at .050 & final lift numbers on that cam. Give me some time and I will see what I can dig up in all my papers for that motor .

I went with the LPG pistons instead of the smaller chambered head of the 194 because I needed over sized pistons anyway. I have nothing against using that head - it should be a whole lot cheaper than those heavy duty LPG pistons to gain several points in compression.

The manifold is small in the cross section for velocity and it uses the exhaust manifold for a source of heat ( that is the main reason I used a manifold instead of a small primary header ) I did not want to route a water heating intake.

No plans on any dyno time - I'll just use the old seat of the pants fine tune method for this engine.

I'll let Ya' know how it all turns out ! Keep me updated on your progress and bring this thread back up with any more questions / info that you may have - maybe it will help another 292 freak such as us ......

Tom

16. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

TTT, i'd like to know more.