Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pingin furd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Jan 11, 2007.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am lookin for Ideas from the hot rodders. I am running a 10.1 compression 30over 390 with a very large cam. If I run her easy she romps hard when I get on it with no noise but if I am in it a few times she starts to ping on accell. I have tries 101 octane fuel and retarded the pee pee out of the timing with no success. I am also running all eddelbrock intake, carb and a 110gph fuel pump so I know she is getting fuel.

Ideas Please!!!

2. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like the motor is getting hot and starting to detonate.
    Do you have an open element air cleaner that is sucking all of that nice hot air off the radiator? if you do consider going to a snorkel style air filter housing and pull the air off the front of the radiator support or from the cowl.
    How much total timing (centrifugal plus initial) do you have at higher RPMs? make sure it doesn't go over 36-40 degrees depending on your altitude.
    There is always the little things like spark plug heat range and make sure you aren't running extended tip spark plugs. If the motor has more than about 5,000 miles than you may have to decarbonize the cylinders etc. etc.
    If that all checks out then it may be time to part with the ferd and get a real truck :).

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you are runnin lean to me.

4. ssped

I know it is not lean. I had a faulty Stock fuel pump and replaced it with a holley. she deff has enough fuel. I Put in a hotter plug but went from a platnum to a regular one. that might be the trick. I will change them out and see what she does. that makes sense.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You could be running a 1,000,000 gph fuel pump. But if you are jetted too small or have a vac leak you will ping.

6. ssped

Yah I origionallythought fuel but it only happens after she has been romped on hard a few times so cyl temp sound more like it. I would immagine fuel would be more constant. I will pull them and check what size they are running.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I reread the thread and saw you went to a hotter plug.Sorry, Guess i missed it the first time. That will cause pinging. Hotter plugs stick out further. The ground electrode gets red hot and doesn't have a chance to cool between cycles and will pre detonate the mixture on the next compression cycle. Change the plugs to cooler before You mess with the jets.
    With a 10-1 engine i would stay away from Bosch platinium and use Plain old motorcraft, or autolite. Fords like them.

8. ssped

That is what I did. I swaped out the Bosch Platinums My Bro put in her and placed standard Autolites in there(thinkin the same thing). I went one hotter on the plug so Maybe my stupid thinkin started all this.