Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinging and stuff... need help, please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shewheeler, Jun 15, 2002.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Hi All,

A little history first... just installed Edelbrock Performer Intake, 600 cfm carb and new HEI distributor. Today is the first day I've really had a chance to drive it since the new stuff went on. Problem is that it's pinging. Seems to be worse once it's warmed up and sounds awful going up a grade. I threw some higher octane (91) gas in, but it didn't seem to help any. It was timed when everything went in, but my timing mark isn't where it should be. Could the pinging just be from the timing being a little bit off? Or, could this be caused by the carb? Someone told me that it might be running a little lean...???

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get my junk dialed in for Pismo next weekend and this weekend is it. Thank you!

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

what brand new dist. did you install ? sounds like the curve may need changing or you dont have it timed rite

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If your timing mark is off and whoever timed it (if it wasn't you) didn't know, then your timing is off. You'll just have to mess with the timing and do a trial and error type thing.

4. shewheeler

The distributor I got from Summit... I think it's just their brand.

The guy who timed it for me did it after the stuff was put in and he was the one who told me that the mark was off some. So, what I'm getting here is that it is probably just the timing and has nothing to do with the carb running lean?

Thanks!

5. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

thats the reason i asked about the disturbtor because i bought the same one from them it comes with differnt springs that you need to change its advancing to quick you need to go to the heavier springs i always had trouble with my summit disturbtor i am not trying to be rude but it is a cheapely made disturbtor i took mine out and put my old one back in try changing them springs out you may have better luck with yours

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you were running a little leen, it would be hard starting, and run a bit hotter than before, check your plugs and make sure they are not geting any build up, but it sounds like timing, sounds a little advanced. Should be around 8 degrees, if thats not it then your timing curve is off.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In my experience, if you are running lean, you'll end up with a surge around 35MPH...hold the pedal constant on flat ground and if it surges, its lean, at least on the primary side.

If timing is too far advanced, you will feel/hear the starter fighting the motor as it tries to crank. Instead of the starter spinning "smoothly", you'll feel/hear it slow down then speed up again.

Not knowing the Edelbrock carbs at all, I'd mess with timing a bit at a time to see if you can eliminate the ping that way. Unless you've got high compression, 87 octane is more than enough for any stock truck motor our vintage...if its not, something else is wrong. Pay attention to the way the vehicle starts when advancing timing..typically when the motor starts turning over hard, it will ping under load as well.

I don't use a timing gun/light anymore, I advance it as far as I can without the starter having to fight the engine, and make sure it doesn't ping under load, and leave it.

8. shewheeler

I fixed it!!! A friend showed me how to adjust the timing and the idle and I think I fixed it!! For someone who is as mechanically challenged as I, this was HUGE... /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

Thank you all for your help... now I need to get rid of this cramp in my arm from patting myself on the back /forums/images/icons/grin.gif