Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinging? Dealer sucks rocks! (long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I bought my blazer last July in California (through Ebay). I flew out and drove it home. On the way back to Utah I got up to 17mpg and the truck ran great. The next week I went down the Vegas to pick up a piano and I could hardly make it up the hills at 45mph and it pings. For the last few months it has been pinging everytime it is under load, especially on the freeway. If I put 91 octane in it it pings less but still does it. A while ago the check engine light came on and the code was for the ESC (electronic spark control) circuit so I replaced the knock sensor. Still pings, no check engine light. I took it in to the dealer and his mechanics said they couldn't hear anything. Last night on the freeway I hit a hill and it sounds like a bunch of mice tapdancing on the air cleaner. Any advice? Is there some adjustment I need to make for the higher elevation? By the way I can't get better than 13-14mpg on the freeway (about 65mph) 32" tires and stock gearing and 700r4 tranny.
    Any ideas would be appreciated, I hate having to go slow!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Check the bolt that keeps the disributer from rotating. If that where loose the timing could walk out. The computer controls the advace on your distributer so check all the wires that connect back and forth too.

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I agree, the first thing I would check is the timing, and try a different brand of gas if you use the same thing all of the time. Crappy gas will make it run like dammit.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

That happened to me and it was my knock sensor. Check to make sure the wire is still attached, and if it is you might want to replace the knock sensor.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Also pull your plugs and inspect them. My 1979 K10 starts to ping when the plugs start fouling out. Clean them up and it is good for a few more months... Cant wait till I can put EFI on it!