Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinging ? - i drove in 2nd pretty fast...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Sep 17, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

OK here is what happened...I was in the Jack in the Box drive thru and was moving up to the window...well I put it in 2nd and forgot about it and ended up getting on the highway and driving 70-ish for 10 miles or so. When I came to the light It was pinging damn bad. I got to work ( yeah Sunday night at 10:20pm ) and parked leaving it at idle and reving it there was some bad pinging going on. So I turned it off and left it for about 5 minutes. When I came back out and turned it on I left it at idle for approx. 2 minutes and it slowly went away. Now when I rev it up it doesn't ping. I haven't drivin it yet but what coud I have done to her? Later

350 w/178000 - 700r4 - 208
    Surfing is Life...<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by bigblue on 09/16/01 11:31 PM.</FONT></P>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You probably over pumped the lifters. There are special lifters for high reving. They are anti pump up lifters so that doesnt happen. If dont have them they fill up with too much oil and make the valves go out of adjustment. Thats why it was making noise. I am assuming it was a chattering noise. I would change the oil. Being at that many rpms for 10 minutes brakse down the oil pretty bad. When I race the firebird I change the oil every other week. It breaks down real easy at igh rpms. I would also adjust the valves.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A friend of mine did that to a somewhat tired 350...and spun a bearing.
    Hopefully that didn't happen to your motor!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

One thing also to note is that I have had lifter problems in the past because I was misinformed and using a 20W 50 oil type. I had my local shop do a "Cleansing of the system" and it fixed the problem alltogether. I really hope I didn't spin a bearing. I have financial woes coming out of my ass right now. Hell it might be time to learn how to rebuild an engine! hehe...I bet my boy ARQ doesn't want to hear this right now! hehe...

Surfing is Life...

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

well the drive home was OK. I will change the oil tommorrow for sure...

Surfing is Life...

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you over pumped the lifters. I have done that one in the firebird even woth anti pump up lifters. I let the line and spun the tires so bad that it went straight to redline, tried to shift to the next gear to help out and kept spinning the tires through 2nd and 3rd. When I circled around to the pits I heard the same thing. I drove it home and it went away.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>