Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinging noise on 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sr175, May 11, 2004.

1. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

I have this persitent pinging problem on my engine. I have removed the vacuum advance, adjusted timing around (currently at 8), and adjusted the fuel mixture. No luck so far. Removing the advance helped slightly. Pinging happens when putting the hammer down about mid throttle. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There are a few causes here outside of octane level. First one is possible head cracks/burned valves ( worst case scenario ). Second is running too hot. Third thing is if your rear gears are too high (numerically lower) it will ping at part throttle cruise when you give it gas. I had the head problem before. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with the 305 in my 86. I'm attributing it to 127,000 miles on the motor and probably a poor gear ratio.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

High mileage, wore out heads and valve seats. Mine does this alot, when i get on the throttle especially when it starts to get alittle warm, and thats not even THAT warm at 210 compared to what it usually gets to.

5. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm attributing it to 127,000 miles on the motor and probably a poor

[/ QUOTE ]

4xcrazy and I did my heads around 88,000 miles and I drive in 3rd unless I am on freeway, I only get a slight ping on days when its 110 out or my air cleaner is full of dust /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I still question the legitimacy of that truck having only 88k on it being an '83. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

That would mean at the time of the head replacement, the truck was only driven an average of 4400 miles a year, very very unlikely. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. pauly383

Well, then dealership forged the paperwork, it was box "a" on title . Besides you saw the cylinder walls, they were pretty /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I still question the legitimacy of that truck having only 88k on it being an '83. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

That would mean at the time of the head replacement, the truck was only driven an average of 4400 miles a year, very very unlikely. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I put 1,500-3,000 miles on my personal vehicle a year so yes it is possible under the right circumstances. I live at the cemetery where I work so I don't have a daily commute and I get free use of the cemetery and monument business trucks. The grocery store is 3 blocks away and I may have to drive to the city 13 miles away once a week. Usually I get my erands done while I'm out working with one of the trucks.

9. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

Fortunitely or unfortunitely this motor only has 150 miles on it. Have had some problems with it with the last being a replacement of the cam last weekend. That fixed the rough running and backfiring. Tried putting super in last night and helped slightly. Will play with timing some more. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. pauly383

I am sorry to hear that one. Its unfortunate, but cams sometimes do go bad agter a rebuild, even if you oil it liberally.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go to a cooler thermostat and try that too, keeping the heads cooler will help a bit also with ping, as well as a way to get cool air into the carb ( I run dryer duct through grill to big gm air cleaner ). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I put 1,500-3,000 miles on my personal vehicle a year so yes it is possible under the right circumstances. I live at the cemetery where I work so I don't have a daily commute and I get free use of the cemetery and monument business trucks. The grocery store is 3 blocks away and I may have to drive to the city 13 miles away once a week. Usually I get my erands done while I'm out working with one of the trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying it's trashed or anything, but the interior is definately in very used condition, this in itself tells me that the truck was a daily driver.

Another thing, i am a friend of his, i see this truck alot, i know alittle more about the condition of his ride than you, sure you can only put on 1500 miles a year, not saying it's impossible, but i say i don't believe the mileage and title, it's not that hard to tell the DMV that they are original miles, maybe they are, maybe it has 188k on it, they never add the extra "1" to the 188,000.

Now, back to the subject at hand,,,

Mess with the timing some more.

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have this persitent pinging problem on my engine. I have removed the vacuum advance, adjusted timing around (currently at 8), and adjusted the fuel mixture. No luck so far. Removing the advance helped slightly. Pinging happens when putting the hammer down about mid throttle. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I had the same problem, ended up being the heads going bad and finally blowing a head gasket. I recommend doing a compression check and maybe getting your heads rebuilt. When I took the heads off for the rebuild I went a head and put a new Comp Cam,lifters, and timing chain /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif With the new heads on I haven't heard a knock since.

13. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

Yup. This one s**ks. On the last tear apart I had a bad head gasket. So its got a new gasket, 160 deg thermo., oversized radiator (454 style), head and block have about 150 miles. Well, gonna tackle it again this weekend. Hopefully I can find something. Anyone think wrong spark plugs be small part of problem? Just brainstormin everything. When heads were off I inspected them and did not see anything wrong. Gasket was replaced only because at stand still water was leaking into oil. Did not happen when engine overheated or anything like that. Heads were redone during rebuild, so should not be problem /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. Of course everything else has been going bad so who knows. May have to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif the thing again!!

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Incidentally to beat a dead horse I went and checked our 78 dump truck. Interior is hammered (dash has a zillion cracks and is faded, stereo hole is busted, wiper knob is busted, plow knobs are busted, etc..), rear springs are worn out, front diff was rebuilt, seat was replaced, my pop in law is the original owner. 83k miles.

Now as you said I have not seen this vehicle and it is indeed easy to say a vehicle with 188k miles only has 88k. But it still is possible. Wouldn't a carfax report give actual mileage based on registration history or some such?

FYI I love to argue so don't take it personally. It's a wonder I'm still married /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

well did you swap out the 454 plugs for the 350 ones yet? oh and what about the timing and compression, oh thats right the tools are at my place. sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you make have excessive carbon build up -> increase in compression ratio. Get some "Top Engine Cleaner" from your local chevy dealership. Follow the instructions. The stuff works excellent to clean your intake and cylinders. Do not do this indoors, because of the giant smoke screen that it will produce /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well i'm not going to argue about it anyway, this isn't the tread for it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't a carfax report give actual mileage based on registration history or some such?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it would , but why bother , I am replacing my interior soon enough, and sooner or later there won't be much high mileage left on the truck except the tub and frame ( 383 burning in my mind ) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

you two sound like friends like tweaker and I. Always bickering in these posts! Take tweaker for instance, you'd think from his previous post that he has a built K5. Nope stock except 4" no name lift and the axles I swapped out of my truck into his K5!!! See Tweaker has a lead foot problem and grenades axles and engines. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif