Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion angle 14 FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazd88, Sep 13, 2004.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

does anyone have the corrected pinion angle for a 14 FF with about 7-8 inches of lift with a 1 inch transfer case drop. i just rebuilt my new 14 FF but it came out of a 1ton so im having to change the spring perches and shock mounts. didnt know if i should go with what my 10bolt had or if i should fix it a bit. P.S. it does have a shakle flip stock springs with no shims or blocks.
    thanx /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Go to home depot, buy a $9 angle finder and measure your angles twice prior to welding your spring pads on.

3. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

iv already got a finder but in just wondering if while im at it i should point it up a degree or two /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

#1, put your transfer case back where it belongs. Dropping your transfer case just makes your front driveline angle worse, which doesn't really benefit you at all.

#2 match the angles of the u joints so that they both operate at the same working angle and thus are capable of canceling the vibration of each other.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

dropping your transfter case actually should your front driveshaft angle, not hurt it.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If my tcase was capable of being dropped, it would actually make the front shaft angle worse off. Beside, with the crossmember on my 203, dropping the rear of the tcase is impossible.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    dropping your transfter case actually should your front driveshaft angle, not hurt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No...I think you might have the term "dropping" confused. The "dropping" we're talking about just angles the rear of the t-case downward more. Doing this will increase the angle of the front d-shaft output. Think of "tipping" the t-case backwards.
    You might be thinking of "dropping" as in clocking the t-case or dropping the whole assembly at the same angle it's at now...in that case your angles would be improved.

8. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

all i need to get is a degree of angle for my 14 bolt so that i can put my perches on in the right spot. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif all i did to lower my transfer case was put the spacers between the frame and crossmember. is that ok?

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    all i did to lower my transfer case was put the spacers between the frame and crossmember. is that ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how you do it. BUT, if you're going to weld on new perches...return the t-case to it's normal position and then measure the angle and weld on new perches.