Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion Angle and Transfer Case drop and tons of fun

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vetteman61, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

It turns out my severe shudder under braking is a pinion angle problem. I made a temporary transfer case drop just for trouble shooting. How big are any of ya'lls spacers? 2" 3"??
    The rear end I am using in my 87 k5 is from a 79 3/4 ton, which were all long beds. I think the spring perches on this rear end would be different from the factory angle of a blazer rear end due to the difference in lenghts of a blazer and a long bed. Could this be the reason for my pinion troubles? I'm sure many of you have swapped 3/4 ton axles before, maybe someone has dealt with this?
    Is it safe to use differential shims and blocks together? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks for the help,
    Brandon

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Most T-case drops are only 3/4" - 1". Many blocks already have a slight shim angle to them. One thing you could check is to make sure the block is placed correctly.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Clarification: Make sure the blocks aren't installed backwards.

I wouldn't shim under a block. It might be fine but it just seems unsafe to me.

4. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

blocks and things

The blocks are definitely in correctly, and do have an angle built into them, but the angle is not enough. It's a 4" lift, and I know no one else who has had this much trouble with their angles after a 4" block lift in the rear, springs up front. The TC helped a whole, whole lot. I considered maybe welding the shims to the axle, that way i KNOW they won't be coming off, even still shims and blocks together, as you said, don't seem safe, but i thought maybe someone had this setup and had a different story.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are steel shims available that bolt to your spring pack. Sounds like you either have the blocks in backwards or you haven't corrected the pinion angle correctly yet.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have been dealing with that problem for years. A temporary solution I used was to put the shims in backwards. It helped. We really need to see your angles to give advise. Do not even think about dropping your tcase 2 or 3 inches. Your front angle would be terrible, even if the fan blade didn't hit the shroud, that is way too much angle. What degree shim are you running in the rear? Is the pinion pointing straight ahead, or is it pointing up some? How much?