Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion angle for 14FF in a K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Feb 19, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, I got myself a 3/4 ton drivetrain. After I paint it and get some tires, it's going in under my stock K-5. Now, I heard that, since these diffs were inteanded for longer wheelbase trucks, my pinion angle is gonna be all screwed? is there any way I can make this work without needing a lift? anyone got any advice I can use? I wanna get this diff under the truck and working fine in a weekend, since the truck is my daily driver, and it sounds like my 10 bolt is about to blow up. Help.....

<a target="_blank" href=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</a>
    ".. Sanatarium.. leave me be..."

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

If its from a 3/4 truck its should be damn close to your current pinion angle. Should be a direct bolt in.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here's the deal. What you want to achieve is keeping the centerline of the output shaft of the trans case and the centerline of the pinion gear parallel to each other and at the same time having no more than 3 degrees working angle on both u joints. This is very hard to do on a short wheelbase vehicle, but you said your blazer is stock now. You should be able to achieve this easily. Goodluck

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

On mine with a stock suspension I had to drop the t-case.
    When I nailed the gas the rear yokes would bind and make an ass puckering noise.
    I am not sure if this is due to using a 2x4 rear axle or what.
    I dropped the case 1.5 inches and all is well.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>