Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion angle question - 14bolt swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, May 18, 2006.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

OK, so I bought the spring perches from DIY (ordered anyway, should have 'em soon). Now, I have a vibration in the driveline ever since I did the 4 inch springs out back. I plan to change the pinion angle when I put this 14bolt under the Blazer and try to remedy the vibe. Without having to put the perches and the axle under the truck and trying to figure out a good angle, is there a formula or other way to guesstimate placement of these perches? I have help with a welder, but I'd like to be able to throw the axle in the back of my Ranger and just take it over to the guy instead of having to to the whole dang swap it his place. Ideas? Suggestions? I was thinking of just moving the perches forward about 1/4 inch on the tube and going from there. If it's too much or not enough, I can shim it. Whaddaya think?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Set it up under the axle, mark the position with a sharpie and then take it to get welded.

The pinion angle should be the same at the t-case output angle. I'm sure there's a way to figure out where to put the spring perches with a plumb bob, a slide rule and the position of the sun but that would be getting all mathy. Easier to just mock it all up, mark it and glue it.

Fwiw, I'll be doing exactly the same thing in a few days but I have my own welder, so I don't have to take it anywhere.

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am sure there is a way to figure it out. I would just bring the welder to you and have it all under the trunk and point it at the t-case and then weld it. That is the way I did it.

4. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking that's the plan. Thanks guys. Hey Duane you fix that dent yet? If it makes you feel any better, mine are unfixable...:doah: