Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion angle ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5floyd, Oct 12, 2006.

1. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

have ords 4" shackle flip. when i installed it i dropped the transfer case with the factory spacers and that helped a little bit with the vibrations. u joints still wore out real quick so i replaced them and then i had no more vibes, weird cus the old ones were only a couple months old before i did the lift so what gives? also i raised the tcase back up to get the ground clearance back and measured the tcase output yoke angle and pinion angle. pinion needs to be rotated down 10* to match the output at the tcase. went to the local 4x4 shop(very good and knowlegable people) to see if i could buy/order 10* shims but they only could get 3* and 6* shims and said theyve never had anyone need a shim that big. is this normal with ord's 4" shackle flip and is it safe to run shims that big? also with the tcase raised back up and pinion anlge corrected with only 4" lift am i still well within the designed oporating angles of the ujoints?

2. raymos

raymos Who?

i have the ord kit, no shims, and the case is not lowerd. i have no vibrations, and havent noticed any premature joint ware. i havnt checked the angles with a angle finder but the pinion points almost straight up the shaft.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I made zeros with a 6* down angle and that was perfectly inline on my '91 but UJ's started binding on full drop so I bought a CV shaft from Jesse and made zeros to get the pinion 4* above stock. Perfect! No vibration from crawl to over 100mph and no bind on droop.

4. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

where is jesse? his infinite wisdom of driveline tech could help right about now.