Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion angle...what? how?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, May 20, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ok...some peeps agree that my vibration noise MIGHT be related to a pinion angle prob. lol, but, I'm a newbie....what exactly is the pinion angle...how do I measure it...what qualifies as good/bad...and how do I fix it? ANY info appreciated, thanks!

J

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The angle that they are talking about is the angle between the driveshaft and the pinnion gear. The angle at the pinion should be about 2 deg. more than the angle at the x-fer case. Measure the angle to see how far off you are than buy shims to go between the springs and the axle to correct it.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

1st of all fill out your profile.if you had i wouldnt be asking this question.is your blazer lifted?if it is how much?what yr blazer is it.what case do you have?if its 6"or more you need to lower your t-case.esp if you have a case w/ a slip yoke rear out put.1"is all it should need to eliminate the vibration.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

this is the tool you use to measure the angles.
    measure rear dif by placing tool on machined surface(dif cover mounting area is easiest) record angle
    measure trans case by placeing tool on machined surface(as i dont know what case you have hard to recommend BUT you could go off front of block as it is parrallel to the output)
    as previously stated the rear should be a few degrees(i have heard as high as 6) to account for some axle wrap hoping to end up equal under load.
    did that help or confuse?