Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion angle with flip?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by TX Mudder, Jan 27, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Do you have any experience with what the pinion angles are like when yo do the 4" shackle slip on a LWB truck?
    I read the FAQ on the website and it says that it pretty close to ideal for a k5 or swb truck. But think I read about someone with a LWB having the pinion angle about 15 degrees off and not being able to find a big enough shim.
    I really don;t want to lower the tcase because that would make the front angle on my 205 even worse - it's bad enough with a 6" lift as is. :)
    -- Mike 73 k20

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It really depends on what brand of block you compare it with, but we have measured about 3 degrees more pinion up on a truck where we swapped out a block and went to the flip. One customer milled his own rear block to work with a 6" front spring and put about an 8 degree angle on it. in a LWB truck with a 465 and 208.
    What we usually advise it to put it together and measure the angles, then look at how to fix it. a shim should do the trick for you, if you don't want to run one, you could rotate the perches on the axle housing. We had to move the perches on my k5 when we went from a stock spring to a custom spring. That was the only change but it was over 10 degrees we had to rotate the perches.
    Hope this helps, it's not very specific because it's hard to be specific due to some of the variables

Maybe some LWB customers will see this and pipe up on how their kits worked out?

Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. Russ1020

Russ1020 Registered Member

I helped a guy put a one ton ford alxle under a bronco 2 before and we got his angles great by cuting the spring perches and welding them where he wanted them. It worked great and he never had any problems out of it.
    Russ77k10

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

With all the talk about pinion angles with shackle flips (look how many posts on the regular 4x4 board have been made about this over the past few months) doesn't it seem the "easiest" (didn't say least costly [​IMG]) way would be to go CV driveshaft? Might be wrong, please educate me if I am.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With a K5 you probably are better off going with a CV joint and being done with it. I fought pinion angle on mine for a couple of years and finally bit the bullet, went with the cv joint and never looked back. Most K5's end up with a little too much angularity to work smoothly at highway speeds. Now there are a lot out there that work, but, there are some specific circumstances to help, like low lift, short t-case, high axle gears, tall tires, etc.
    For most late model guys with an overdrive, running deep axle gears (like 4.56) and any kind of lift, the cv will probably be cheaper in the long run.
    thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD