Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion angle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudologist, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Mudologist

Mudologist Registered Member

May 9, 2001
    I have heard talks about shops cutting the knuckles off front axles and rotatioing the pinion angle up and then rewelding the
    knuckles back on, or spinning the axle tubes to rotate the pinion angle up. Has anyone heard about this or had this done???
    Also is the dana 60 pinion angle any higher than a dana 44 pinion angle? And how much higher is a reverse rotation dana 60
    compared to a standard rotation dana 60?
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    Cutting and rotating a front is usually reserved for the large lifts. Its not an easy job and usually costs a fair chunk of change to have it done. The problem is that if you try to improve your pinion angle for the driveshaft you are changing your caster angle and the truck will be all squirrelly on the road. Thats the reason behind cutting and rotating.

I'm not sure if the D60 pinion is normally higher than the 44 or 10 bolt. The high pinion D60 is quite a bit higher than the regular one...but is not available as a passenger side pumpkin. You could run a Ford D60 HP front with some work and a Ford T-case though.

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
  3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Feb 2, 2001
    you have to remember the cast spring perch has to be rebuilt to the new level, and then the hard part is the studs for the spring plate no longer point up.
  4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nov 28, 2000
    You can do it that way, but if you are going to go through that much trouble, some shops actually unweld/press out the axle tubes, rotate them and repress/reweld them. That keeps you from having to cut and reweld the knuckles and spring perches which MAY lead to weaknesses. This is the best approach for a D44 or 10 bolt since they use 4 u-bolts (unlike the D60 which has 3 and 2 bolts/studs). It does require a little bit-o-grindin on the pumpkin to make the oddball (i.e. longer and wider) u-bolt to fit properly on the rotated pumpkin.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?