Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion angle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gmcjimmy4x4, Nov 12, 2006.

1. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

anyone know approximately what size angle shim i should be using. Ive got 91 jimmy with a 14 bolt, 6" lift and a sye kit with a cv driveline

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have an angle finder, if you want I will lend it to you and teach you how to measure it or if you can drive it now, come to me and I will measure it for you.
    No one can guess the angle too many parameters.
    PM me if interested.

3. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

is the rear lift a shacle flip? I am running 6deg.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It depends on the shape of his springs, what brand, I have put anything from 2 deg to 10 degree shim all on 4" lift K5's.
    Don't guess when you can know.
    :D

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got about 5.5 inches from my Echobit shackle flip and stock 52's , I do not run shims .

Regardless how the lift was done , a good rule of thumb with a CV is to have the rear pinion point right at the transfercase .
    [​IMG]

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I tip my pinion about 2* down from center to allow for the little upward axle wrap that happens upon normal driving conditions which will then point it to the centerline of the T-case output shaft when driving.

7. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

When I installed my ORD shackle flip and 2" springs, the pinion angle is just about perfect for the CV joint. You might not need any shims at all.

8. gmcjimmy4x4

im sure i need shims, just not sure if im reading the angles properly. From the measeurements i took with an angle finder it seems like it needs about 14 degrees. and thats with the shim that comes with the spring.(4* i think)

9. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Post up pix and let us look at her. Basically point the pinion a small bit down from directly pointing at the tcase output.

10. 4X4HIGH

To give you an idea, i'm doing some rear axle work myself right now and i just measuered my pinion angle tonight. With the truck on flat ground and my angle finder on the driveshaft i have 17.5*, i then pulled my driveshaft and put the angle finder on the rear axle pinion yoke and it also was at 17.5*. The pinion yoke and the driveshaft angles should be the same or the pinion pointed down 2* if you're running a CV rear shaft. The angle will be different for every vehicle though depending on the size of your lift and also the tranny t-case combo you have.

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im using the shims that came with my 5" lift 64's, i believe they are 5* with a shcakle flip and my angle is perfect for a cv, but im not running a cv yet

12. gmcjimmy4x4

how much angle shims are you running?

13. 4X4HIGH

Well, i am running a 4" superlift spring with an ORD 4" shackle flip then i moved the axle back 1.5" with a 4* tapered offset zero rate that is an extra 3/4" thick so that i could remove the factory overlaod from the spring pack without affecting ride height. Currently i am removing my tapered zero rate and cutting the spring perches off and made new perches that will get welded back on so that i won't need any tapered shims and this is all using new superlift springs and keeping the overloads installed this time. The springs will be installed backwards so the axle will move back 1" and then my perches have a 1" offset hole as well so i'll end up with my axle 2" rearward.

14. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

where can you buy shims at?

15. gmcjimmy4x4

I just orderd mine from jkwoffroad.com. I havnt recieved them yet,but hopoe to any day now. Not many places make custom angle shims.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Rubicon express, local in Rancho Cordova. I got a few sets from them $35 a set