Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion angle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Sep 30, 2002.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I have a skyjacker 4" lift and the kit came with a transfer case lowering kit...I was wondering if it could be lowered further without hurting anything??? the rear end seems to point directly at the yoke of the tranfer case so i think i pick up my vibes from the slip yoke end....or maybe its just the slip yoke itself??? i wouldnt even know where to start...i can feel vibes at very low speeds all the way up to 40 or 50 ...i dont travel much faster than that on the back roads here in Maine....i have brand new ujoints and it never did this before i installed the lift /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Your pinion should not be pointing at the tcase yoke. They should be within 3 degrees apart.
    I doubt your pinion is pointing at the tcase though, unless you modified it to.
    Best thing to do is get an angle finder and check the pinion angle and the tcase yoke angle. Then check the shaft angle as well (since you don't want it running at extreme angles). You can lower the tcase to help that if need be.
    I bet your pinion and tcase are not within 3 degrees for you to be getting some vibes....
    Or, could be a wheel balance, or alignment problem....??

3. Buff44

Buff44 Registered Member

Yep, Boss is right! The rule of thumb is no more than 6 degrees from yoke to yoke. That means each universal joint is adjusting no more than 3 degrees of angle. Generally a Protractor will help in determining angles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif