Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? pinion angle ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Jan 15, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

what is the best way to fix front pinion angle with an 8 inch lift on my 75 chevy 3/4 ton, and any good cures out tehre for steering? i want flex even if i dotn use it, i want to have it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

The "best" way might be cutting and rotating the axle housing. Using too many shims is hell on your caster. Better yet, budget a crawler in there and gain 6 inches. This will reduce the driveline angle required. It will shorten the rear but rears are more forgiving anglewise.

Jeff

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have 6" lift springs on my '72 and I just have a set of 6* shims in the front. I also have the front spring hangers dropped an inch to help point the pinion up a little and combined with the taller D60 spring perches and 6" springs, it equals about 8" of overall lift. As far as steering correction goes, I have to say crossover steering is the way to go. It is pretty expensive, but after having it I would never go back with regular front-to-back steering. My truck turns SO much sharper with crossover than it did before.

Will

4. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

if i cut and rotate my axle housing, what do i do about the u-bolt on the front will it still work the same, or whats the cure for that? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

You could still run shims and it wouldn't matter because the caster has been corrected.