Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion angles, what gives

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 10, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK this is a two parter
    1st I have an 87 K5 stock 10bolts and for the last few years I have to replace the rear universal about every 9 months. I just replaced it in Dec and its clunking real hard again. How can I measure the angle I have and would I benifit from dropping the transfercase a little?

Part 2
    I also have an 87 blazer that I'm getting ready to put a 3/4ton 14BFF into. I know the spring perches are right BUT, if I where to use a 5" rear spring or any combo of shackle flips, Would I benifit from rotating that springs perches (Fabing new ones, like Greg72 's) with the built in relocation? (the question here is the rotation of the perches, not the different perchs). Otherwise, I will be sandwiching a shim, zerorate, and spring -instead of the spring to new perch. (I'm also thinking about the angled zerorate, I see at the ad on top for a-tron I think it was).

---I just found this at a-trons website

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's the stock setup (i.e. suspension, axle, height, whatever), then the problem has to be in the joints you are using. Are you getting greasable or non? Or are you greasing them frequently enough?

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

The new joint is a brute force, non-greasable (NOT MY CHOICE, but it was all that was avaliable when I needed it done to get to work). the others where Timken greasable and they got shot with oil changes. This new bruteforce is less than 3000 miles /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

added...
    Yep, stock heigth springs, gears, everything except the auburn limited I put in a while back when I ate up a couple gov-locs in the mud.

What are the part numbers for stock spicer u-joints? Maybe I can get them ordered. To bad CMT does not have a u-joint for this I would drop $100 on one if I didn't have to deal with it or worry about being a POS!