Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion bearing on my 14ff.....**Fixed Thanks for the Help guys**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Oct 25, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I think my pinion bearing is shot on 14ff, I can move the pinion in an almost circular motion. I am not quite sure yet, but it could also be the pinion nut backed off a bit from when I changed my yokes out.

Now, here is the question at hand. If it is the pinion bearing, would it be the support or on the pinion itself? There are two bearings for the pinion right?

Now if it is the pinion support bearing I am pretty much screwed on taking it in IIRC, but the pinion one I should be able to change right?

I have a big wheelin trip in 10 days and need to get the ball rolling on my POS.

Thanks for any help :o

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

There are two bearings on the pinion and then the support bearing that the pinion goes into. Neither the outer pinion bearing or the support bearing are that hard to replace. The inner pinion bearing is the hardes. To move the pinion in a cicular pattern while the pionion is seated into the support bearing you would have to have atleast 2 bearings shot. Or the nut is way loose and the pinion is not in the support bearing anymore. :confused:

3. stallion85

It is only a small movement about an 1/8" play. When I left Moab for BB I noticed it when I removed the rear driveshaft for flat towing. I don't believe it would have fallen out of the pinion support end since it cannot be moved that much. I am hoping that nut just backed of a bit since I put the new yoke on........

I tried removing the nut so I could replace the seal and look at the bearings, but that sucker is on good.

What would the problems be with just removing the entire pinion from the case from the bolts and taking it down to the hobby shop on base and cranking on that thing with a wicked impact wrench?

4. stallion85

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If the nut is tight, but the pinion moves still, then most likely the crush sleeve isnt crushed, or you dont have the nut tight enough. Did you just change the yokes nothign else and did you use locktite?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 14 has the same problem :doah: I'd guess the problem started on the way home from BB03 due to running a heavy unbalanced driveshaft I had built in moab. I only just noticed the 'slop' in the yoke a little while back. Apparently i've been driving around like that for the better part of 2 years...:eek1:

Probably not a great idea, but I'm taking it on a fishing trip this weekend and it'll be a 400 mile round trip.

Mine has the exact same 1/8" movement you describe. I'll swap in new bearing when i get back, or reasonably soon after i get back :rolleyes:

Rene

7. stallion85

I replaced the yoke and nothing else, but did not use lock tite :doah: I did use a new nut though when I changed them. The nut is on there tighter than an SOB?

I might just leave it alone for this run I have next weekend, I might be taking a chance though :confused:

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Jeff,

You just need to quit tearing your sh!t up out there. :haha: :haha:

Rick

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Just change out all three bearings. It's not that hard a job and you can cut the old bearings off it you don't have a press. The preload is easy to set. In my opinion, the hardest part is getting the new crush sleeve to start crushing. After that, it only takes around 75 ft/lbs to squeeze it. Make sure to use a new nut on the pinion with read locktite and keep the shims between the housing and pinion support assembly just as they were so you don't mess up pinion depth.

10. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jeff Just remove the entire pinion at the bolts of the pinion face. Get it to the hobby shop and check everything out good. Keep track of all the shims and where they went so you can reassemble everything.

I bet you have a bad bearing or two but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

11. stallion85

Cool, thanks Brandon. I will be down at the hobby shop this weekend to check it out :wink1:

12. stallion85

Well, if anyone wants to know the bearings are good on my pinion. The nut must have just backed off. I replaced the seal today after an hour of filing the inner lip on the housing (Bashed an bent from nasty ole rock :D ). Once the yoke was installed and tightened on there was no more movement.

Oh ya, I used thread locker this time :rolleyes: