Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion depth setting tool --- Good brand name?

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by 77 Mud Buddy, Nov 26, 2002.

1. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Any spare Pinion depth setting tools out there? What is a good brand / model? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Tavia's ?
    T&D pinion depth checker?
    Pro Form depth setting tool?
    http://www.precisionmeasure.com/rear2.htm ?

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I have the Precision Mesurement brand. It works just fine.

3. 77 Mud Buddy

Where did you get it and how much did you spend? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I got it from the site you posted. $125. Don't get the adjustable spanner though. It's wimpy.

5. 77 Mud Buddy

has any body else had luck with or perfers one pinion depth setting tool over the other? Thanks!

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I bought mine from Jegs. It is the Pro Form model. It takes a little getting used to, but gives me very accurate results. Paid like $109.

One thing to remember when setting pinion depth, your measurement from the bearing cap surface is not always correct - in fact, the carrier bearing cap is Never at exact centerline, thats why they are align bored to get center - like a rod cap or main cap. So, when checking pinion depth, you need to first check the bearing race surface at the deepest part (closest to the pinion). Get this measurement from the Cap mouting surface to bottom of bearing race surface in the housing, then take this measurement and compare to the measurement of the inside diameter of the bearing journal with cap torqued into place. This difference is what you need to either add or subtract depending on whether the cap mounting surface is at positive or negative to the ring gear centerline. Now, you can accurately measure the pinion depth from the bearing cap surface! Not sure if you needed the lesson, just thought I would pass this on.