Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion guard thingy on BTF truss

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jun 2, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I installed my BTF 14 bolt truss last night and it came with a built in pinion guard. After I get this thing installed I realize that I now have a huge anchor hanging under my vehicle ready to plant its self into any rock, tree, dirt pile, child, honda civic or animal that I may try to run over.

I am wondering if any one has wheeled with one of these pinion guards? Does this get hung up on everything or what?

TIA:wink1:

*edit...I realize the 14 bolt is an anchor in its self but this pinion guard is like a spade point ready to dig. I have no problem dragging a 14 bolt over a rock but the guard is pointed and aiming forward. Like a back hoe or something...

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'd like to know how those work as well. I was contemplating one for my 14 bolt.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

The DIY4x guard follows your pinion angle, it does look like it will catch, but really its just keeping whatever it will hit from slamming Ujoints. Ill see if i can find the write up on it..

4. Citizen Rider

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The BTF one is not much different than the DIY except that it is attached to a massive axle truss.

Good to hear that others have not had the anchor issue. Guess I will have to find out for myself some day.

6. Desert Rat

Technical difficulties over at the first link are keeping me out apparently. I'm curious, I have the 1410 yoke. It says that it will fit but does it require the removal of the yoke to get the device on?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't worry about it... whatever obstacle you are on is either...

1) low enough that it won't hit the pinion guard
    2) high enough to hit the pinion guard... which means it will definite hit your axle housing.
    3) really high and endangering your driveshaft/joint

Hard to imagine an instance where an un-protecting pinion is safe... your axle won't be drug anyway... and yet a pinion guard would be "in the way".

j

8. Citizen Rider

Id rather have the pinion guarded instead of hiting the yoke on a rock and busting it all to peices and being stranded.

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have BEAT the living crap out of my 1410 yoke and it just asks for more.
    I think the guard is just something else to get in the way personally.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I understand 85... but which will result in optimal rig performance... trying to drive off an obstacle while the weight of the rig sits on the 14 bolts yoke... or trying to drive off an obstacle with the weight on the pinion guard. The later seems much better... and the guard is WELL above the bottom of the ff14b so its not like the guard is the anchor in the equation, especially if the axles pinion is rotated to point up at the t-case via shims or relocated perches.

j

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those pinion gaurds are about protecting the pinion bearing as well. You may be able to build a yoke that is bullet proof, but there is no such thing as a bullet proof pinion bearing.

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Yesterday I was at Greg's (4wdfactory) and he had a truck there running a 14b with the BTF truss pinion guard thing.

He had just got back from a wheeling trip over memorial weekend and what I saw pretty much steared me away from the guard. The whole little "bowl" that the guard creates was packed full of rocks. You could clearly see where had had been hung up on the guard and it just broke the rock, forcing it into the "bowl". THAT cant be good for the u-joints and seals (not to mention the pinion bearing:rolleyes: ).

Not really knocking the product just saying I dont really see a point in it.

Plus I like having the exposed yoke, if it hits a rock it will just move my rig with it:p:

13. Desert Rat

I had the same concern with water. You splash up some water in there and it is going to sit there unless there are some small drainage holes. We aren't talking about gallons here, but water does tend to collect places. I was also concerned with dust. I wheel out in Nevada and the roads I get on have tons of fine dust on them. My pinion is rotated up pretty good too.

14. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The BTF truss/guard does have a drain hole towards the back so water wouldn't collect in it and you do not need to reomve the pinion support to install it just remove the bolts.

I have wheeled my jeep in Disney OK, Gilbert MN, RORP etc etc and never had a problem with a rock damaging the rear yoke. I peeled the rear cover back a little one time on my old K5 going over a rock garden but nothing major. The whole idea seems like a novelty to me. I will get some installed pics tomorrow just so you all can check it out.

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

looking at the truss i dont understand how it makes anything stronger, the legs of the truss are so close to the housing, i dont see how it offers more support

looks to me like it is just a eaiser way mount link tabs on the top.

16. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run the DIY4x version. Mine has rock rash all over it. There was one time in all my wheeling that it caused me to hang up and give me trouble. I just back up, moved over two inches and was fine. There were several times when I had the whole rear of the vehicle sitting on it. I have torn apart rear yokes before and would have again. Mine stays.

17. Citizen Rider

Both the BTF and the DIY4x have a large drain hole at the very bottom of the peice.