Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion loose

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by westtexask5, Jan 3, 2005.

1. westtexask5

westtexask5 Registered Member

for some reason i can't get the pinion nut tight enough. i replaced the pinion seal on the front diff and when i tried to tighten the pinion nut the pinion itself is still loose. even with a 2 foot breakover bar i cant get it tight...any suggestions?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Do you mean that the pinoin has slop in it? If so it sounds like you may have cross threaded the nut or damaged the threads while removing the seal.

3. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

i bet your just a wuss! ha ha
    NO we got it tight it was just the thickest crush sleeve id ever seen and it to ALOT to get it to the crushing point.

4. ss396

ss396 Registered Member

Just swapped out my 3.42's with 4.10's. Did you replace the crush sleeve?

Those crush sleeves require a lot of torque to squeeze. I had a 2 foot breaker bar and 4 foot extension pipe. You should have no end play, plus it should take 20 to 30 inch pounds (new bearings) to rotate pinion (10-15 inch pounds for used bearings). That is pinion alone with no ring gear installed.